Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Homemade Metal Stall Bar plans

Stefan Borovina

Stefan Borovina

Hello everyone!  New to GST and the forum.  Did a search on this but could not find an answer.  Has anyone had success with homemade metal stall bars?  I am about 235 and just don't trust wooden dowels.  Besides, buying all those hickory or oak dowels looks pretty expensive.  I have some ideas on how to build stall bars with wooden sides and metal rods but am looking for other examples.  One of my concerns is making sure the rods don't spin and remain in place.  If anyone has had success with homemade metal stall bars I would love to hear your thoughts or see plans/finished products.  Thanks in advance!

Stuart Stegall

Contrary to the previous threads, hickory is not a good wood for this application, it's similar to douglas fir.  Red oak and ash are both readily available and can be had for around $75 for 15 -1.5" dowels.  You'll need around $50 for two 8' 2x6s, 1 - 8' 2x4 and a 1x 2 to 4" construction lumber sticks, wall mounting hardware, can of satin poly, 2 foam brushes, some Titebond II, and some 80 and 220 grit sandpaper.

You'll obviously need the appropriate tools including a drill/drill press, a saw of kind, and the right size of drill bit for your mounting hardware and the 1-1/2" Forstner bit.

Going metal would be fine as well, you'll just want 1-1/8" black pipe (get that from a REAL plumbing supply co who should have 1-1/8") and then you can either use pipe holders which are like little metal circles with some kind of tab that you screw screws in, OR you can also just use a Forstner bit and glue the pipe in place but you'll need to use epoxy instead of PVA.  Screws or pins could be added to stop the pipes from spinning but epoxy will hold more force than you'll generate.

Stefan Borovina

Thanks for the response!  Just a follow up - would red oak or ash be strong enough to support 230-240lbs doing stall bar work?  Not that I am at this level yet, but I imagine one day I will be hanging from the rungs and I don't want them to snap on me.  Also, do you know of any suppliers where I could find 15 dowels for $75?  I have not come across any.  Thanks again!

Stuart Stegall

I have 1.5" ash which supports my 265lbs, I ran the rungs entirely through the sides and screwed them in place, but that's not really "required" so to speak.  My rungs came from Casey's Wood Products which you can easily find from Google.

Stefan Borovina

I think I am going to go with metal rungs just to be safe.  Do you know what epoxy i could use to make sure the rungs don't spin in the wooden uprights?  Thanks!