Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Overweight, recovering from ACL replacement

Todd Shellinger

Todd Shellinger

Very similar to other 50's guy who posted recently, I am early 50's, 6'2" 278 lb, moderately active man who is very interested in the Fundamentals program after hearing Sommer on Tim Ferriss's podcast. I also had ACL replacement surgery (cadaver) 3 months ago. Have been doing PT 2x week since surgery and all has gone according to plan.

Are there any issues with beginning Fundamentals program with in process ACL recovery?

Alessandro Mainente

Yes, range of motion must be reduced and improved gradually accordingly with physioterapist suggestion and programming.

Todd Shellinger

I have 145 degrees ROM in both knees. Some quad deficit in injured leg but otherwise the same.

So I ask the question again. And if the answer is the same, when can I begin Fundamentals course relative to recovery from ACL surgery. 6 months? 1 year? Longer?

The deep squatting will be an issue. Post ACL repair and considering your weight it could take 12 months.

In your case I would start with Foundation one as the leg excersises start with partial ROM squats, which is perfectly fine for your knee post surgery. 

• Upvote 2

Hi Todd,

I noticed the title of your thread. (Very good questions by the way.) I have to recommend a coaching in nutrition as soon as possible if you are not doing so already. Any patient I have that discusses the word overweight during rehab, I immediately start to prescribe finding nutritional coaching as a necessary compliment to rehab. This is just as important as the knee rehab exercises.

I recommend the GB Thrive course right away. It has helped me burn fat along with the foundation training. It has changed my mindset on rehab during an injury; as this is a great time and oppurtunity to get the meal planning dialed in consistantly. You will be ahead of the game over the next 12 months by doing this.

In regards to training, you can always share the Fundamentals or Foundation course materials with your physio to discuss how your prognosis matches up with the movements.

• Upvote 4