Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 second static hold means 30 sets?

Samuel Carr

So in BtGB it says that to progress onto a new static hold, you should be able to hold it for at least 3-5 seconds. Then it says that u need to divide your max time by 2, and then do as many sets until it's 60 seconds total. I can hold a tuck planche for 4 seconds, so im in the 3-5 second zone. 4 divided by 2 is 2. 60 divided by 2 is 30. Does this mean I have to do 30 sets of 2 second tuck planche holds? Cuz i dunno if i can handle that...

What I did for planche at first was work on it for about 10min per session, 10-15 attempts, until i had 10sec max then half it and do sets to 60seconds.

Emil Brannmark

If you've got a 4 sec max hold, you won't be able to 30x2 sec. I don't think anyone could, unless that 4 sec is not really their max.

30 sets? I wouldn't bother. If you only used 45s to rest between, it would take a long time. Even if you only used 30s.

10-15 at max to be worth your time and work on other upper body strength (pseudo-planche pushups).

It has to be found out whether the 3-5s is because of just strength or neuro-muscular efficiency.

I thin it's because of efficiency because i tried it again yesterday and could hold it for 6 seconds now after only 1 week

• 1 month later...

I'm at about the same stage, can only do about 5 secs so I'm just sticking to planche leans for another SSC until its a bit stronger. It helps if you put your feet up on a chair to reach the right height and hold dumbbells or paralettes to ease the strain on your wrists/elbows. You can just pick a reasonable angle that you can do say 30-40 seconds of then you'll only be doing 3-4 sets of 15 or 20 seconds. Its hard being patient but its a must.

Joshua Naterman

Just remember, the 3-5s hold is just a minimum standard.

You wouldn't want to eat JUST the bare minimum calories required to stay alive, so why would you want to move on to a new exercise when you meet the bare minimum standard? There's nothing wrong with one or two holds, but don't make it your main workout until you have a solid 10s hold. Be nice to your elbows!

I remember the first time I tried a tuck planche my max hold was about one nano-second!

After a few weeks I got it up to a solid few seconds and took it from there. I obviously had the strength but my brain was freaked out by being in this unusual position.

As a side note I didn't train consistently as I had work and other commitments and then I stopped for a year when I went back packing round South America. I've started to train consistenly and the tuck planche was still solid even after the lay off. I'm now up to 16 sec max hold but the adv tuck still seems like a long way off. I'll just keep on plugging away. :D

Samuel Carr

16 sec tuck planche hold seems like a lot of time for not being able to do the adv tuck hold yet

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

Not really, at least in my experience. 3x20-30s seems to be the volume necessary to have a good solid hold in the next position, at least from tuck to flat tuck.

Joshua Naterman

Me too, and it's the way I'm going for sure. My elbows are finally doing ok and I'm not about to screw THAT up!