Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting stall bars!!! YAY… Which one of these two?

Suzanna McGee

Suzanna McGee

So I finally broke down and will buy myself stall bars for my home. I know I will need them a lot eventually, so why not get them already now, right? :) 

I have my eyes set on these two, and wondering if you have experiences with any, or which one do you think is better/nicer? 

This is the Artimex from beach wood, 7'10", 15 rungs (thinking about the oval ones), $629

3405-stall-bars.jpg

And this one Acadia, 7'6", 15 rungs (oval), $450+$70 shipping… they are 1.25 inch wider (36.75")  :) and 4 inches away from the wall so one can wrap the arm around if yo want… 

Acadia Stall Bar.png

Lucas Laybourn

I like the way the pull up bar is attached on the second set. There is some overlap of the two pieces of wood and two of the rungs appear to join the supports along with the screw that looks stronger. Assuming they're both made of good quality hard wood. 

• Upvote 2

John Cunningham

I have that exact Artimex one. It's really solid and well built and will last and look classy too. The oval rungs are best especially when hanging as they are more comfortable on your back.

There are plenty of accessories you can get with the Artimex one like pull up bars and dip stations but I haven't felt the need for them just yet.

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 3

Susan Battistelli

I recently ordered a similar Artimex model (279 in red oak with oval rungs).  It hasn't arrived yet, but I can share the reasons I chose that one.  The Artimex is listed as having a 330 lb weight limit and 20 year warranty, which I liked.  Also, I paid $40 extra to have the Artimex made slightly wider than standard, so mine will be 1 m (39") wide.  It was on sale when I ordered it, making it even more enticing - I don't think it is now, though, unfortunately.  You mentioned distance from the wall; when I asked about the Artimex a representative of the company responded that the distance between the wall and the bars is 14 cm (5.5in).

I'm glad to hear that John likes his Artimex - maybe others that own the Acadia or Artimex will also let you know how they like them.  Good luck with whichever you choose!

Suzanna McGee

Thank you @Lucas Laybourn, @John Cunningham and @Susan Battistelli… I love to hear your experience and thoughts. Also, how cool that I could make them wider (I am 6 feet tall, so maybe it could be a good thing to have them wider, especially when I start doing those iMs with open legs). I do also like the Artimex warranty (on the Acadia model I think it is just 3–4 years)… I weight 160 lbs, so both 279 and 216 models should work with me. Great to hear that the distance from the wall is a lot on the Artimex too. The Acadia model reminds me of the old school stall bars back in communist Czechoslovakia where I was born and lived, so maybe I have a little sentimental inclination there :)  I will keep thinking and reading more comments and then make my decision. Can't wait to have them in. Too bad I missed the discount, Susan :)

Have you looked into Wilson (brand)? Might be cheaper than the ones you are looking at. I don't see why I'd pay more for the artimex model. The arcadia also seems to have oval rungs except on the top, offset rung. 

I made my own, which was less than $200. I weigh more than you and they've been fine. I've been meaning to make a post about it but haven't gotten around to it. It was very simple, honestly the second "carpentry" I've ever done.  

Suzanna McGee
16 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

Have you looked into Wilson (brand)? Might be cheaper than the ones you are looking at. I don't see why I'd pay more for the artimex model. The arcadia also seems to have oval rungs except on the top, offset rung. 

I made my own, which was less than $200. I weigh more than you and they've been fine. I've been meaning to make a post about it but haven't gotten around to it. It was very simple, honestly the second "carpentry" I've ever done.  

@Kai Ewert, I went to google the Wilson stall bars… and couldn't find… meanwhile, I found an old thread by Craig Wilson here on gymnastic bodies how he made his stall bars… I just giggled and laughed at myself, because I thought you meant the brand Wilson, meanwhile it was this man. But then I went back to this thread and read your post again, and you DID mean Wilson brand. Funny. I cannot find any such brand. Where are you located? 

And making them on my own. I did look at all the advice and DIY tips etc, and while it doesn't seem too complicated, I do not have the tools, nor patience, nor skills to do it. I will have to buy some pretty ones instead :)   BTW, the Arcadia one also has a choice of oval or round. I would choose oval. 

Suzanna McGee

Thanks, @Kai Ewert, I looked at both of the Gibson stall bars links, and I think I like them the least… they are too narrow (only 34 inches), only 12 rungs (instead of 15) and they are round (I want oval). The price is great, but I think I'd rather pay extra and will get Artimex or Acadia :) Thanks for all the time you spend searching for me… 

No worries, it was no bother at all. Enjoy your stall bars when you get them!

Another little tip (which you may or may not need with oval bars): I drape a Z-rest (folding) camping sleeping pad over my bars for longer sets of leg raises, which eliminates pressure points that I would otherwise get on my upper back.

• Upvote 1

Guest Malik Blasingame
20 hours ago, Tyson Rogers said:

I have these. Haven't had a problem with yet, though I'm still at the beginning of F1. They've been just fine for H2.

I just wish the pull-up bar wasn't offset so far from the rest of the rungs, and a few more rungs would be nice.

image.jpg

Malik- 

Would you be willing to answer some dumb questions? Having never owned a set of these, I have no idea...

You would prefer the pull-up bar closer to the other rungs? Why is that? 

How would that affect your rings you have hanging?

Guest Malik Blasingame
12 minutes ago, Tyson Rogers said:

Malik- 

Would you be willing to answer some dumb questions? Having never owned a set of these, I have no idea...

You would prefer the pull-up bar closer to the other rungs? Why is that? 

How would that affect your rings you have hanging?

Sure thing.

- It's a little difficult to do hanging leg lifts since my hands are so far in front of my body.

- I don't think it would really affect anything since I'm only using them for the row variations in F1 right now.

Hm, leg lifts should actually become easier with the bar further away, as they are easier on a pullup bar than on stall bars. That's because if you let your upper body drift behind the bar as you do them, you can use additional muscles (probably lats). 

Maybe you can use your panel mat that I seemed to see in the picture to push your upper body out from the rungs a bit...

Guest Malik Blasingame
19 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

Hm, leg lifts should actually become easier with the bar further away, as they are easier on a pullup bar than on stall bars. That's because if you let your upper body drift behind the bar as you do them, you can use additional muscles (probably lats). 

Maybe you can use your panel mat that I seemed to see in the picture to push your upper body out from the rungs a bit...

The pull-up bar is so far out from the other rungs that I can't even put my back on the stall bar.

Whenever I play around with hanging leg lifts, I just use the top rung. Works just fine.

On 10/14/2016 at 2:21 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

I looked at these before but didn't like that they only have 9-11 rungs… while the other ones have 15… The price is good though… 

Yes I own these.  They seem perfectly fine, no complaints.  My only issue with them was putting them together, it drove me absolutely insane trying to get the second metal side connected to the bars without any bars popping out or rubber grommets falling off.  This was partially my fault, a call to the company illuminated what I was doing wrong.  Still a pain in the ass! :D  IDK how the pure wooden ones are put together, if it's any easier.  Maybe not.

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee

Hooray, I did buy them today. I chose the Rangeley Stall Bar by Infitness Equipment. Handmade in Maine. Looks beautiful. It's 7'10" high, oval rungs, rung spacing 5.5 inches, white ash wood, and the top rung is offset 2 inches forward, to make it more comfortable on the elbows when hanging. The price was great too, $480 including shipping across the US. I am in love already. :P  But have to wait for another 10 days or so until it will arrive home. 

Rangeley Stall Bar.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3