Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old, big, tall, and ugly...can I do this without killing myself?

Robert Fuller

Robert Fuller

Morning all,

As to the title, I am 50 years old, 6'3", 260lbs, and according to my wife the last one might be wrong.  I have lost about 22lbs using slow carb and Tim Ferriss' "4 Hour Body" as a guide.  I have done this previously 2 years ago and made it down to 230 and was reasonably strong.  I was using an exercise program designed by a trainer at my fitness center and injured my back at the beginning of fall.  Needless to say I back slid.  

Flash forward to today, I am walking about a mile once or twice a day and planning to start back up a training program.  I listened to Tim’s interviews with Coach Sommer and was intrigued.  The injury that dropped me last time was probably something I should have been able to avoid.  The concept of rehabbing connective tissue and joints was a revelation.  But, I have become cautious in my middle age. 

I have read on these forums that taller people with need to work harder and basically become stronger to do the program.  To be honest I like that.  Gives me a direction, if you will.  So, here is a question, at my age, weight and height will this program be useful in reconfiguring my body as it is or is there a weight I need to reach first and some prehab required?  I would prefer to not drop the weight and then injury myself again by being, um, improperly prepared. 

Thanks a head of time,

Robert

Mark Collins

The Fundamentals program starts at a level that would be good for you. Unless you have specific injuries there is no reason why you cannot start now.

Coach Sommer

Hi Robert,

Old we can work with; our oldest student is 73 now.

Big we can work with; our heaviest student is 230-240lbs.

Tall we can work with; our tallest student is 6'6".

Ugly ... Sorry, there are limits to what even I can fix! ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 12

@Robert Fuller I am 5'8", 230, and around 30% bf... although I don't have the issues surrounding being tall and I'm only 35, I do have challenges when it comes to having to move around more weight.  I am making steady progress and have been to a seminar as well.  

As coach noted, this program will work for anyone who is determined to change themselves...

• Upvote 1

Robert Fuller

Greetings gents,

The quick responses are appreciated.  

Mark, to my knowledge I shouldn't have anything other than stiff joints and your basic out of shape stuff for ailments.  Having said that, I would be hard pressed to run a mile without someone dangerous chasing me.

Coach, while I am a tad over your heaviest, I am hoping to get that under control shortly.  The mirror aversion issue is just a burden I will have to bear.  

V/r

Robert

• Upvote 2

Suzanna McGee

@Robert Fuller, I am 51, and for a lady I am tall, 6 feet. My 160 lbs feels like 250 lbs when I do ring pulls and push up, so I guess that is relative :) I started in August, loving the program, each week I just bought another one and another one… now I have all 4 foundations, 2 handstands and 3 stretches… like a little hamster :)  You will enjoy the process, because you will get your body into a state with great mobility and great strength. The weight/looks will adjust on its own as time goes. The body wants to be light when you have to move it up and down and around… enjoy the journey!

• Upvote 3

Robert Fuller

Morning,

Suzanna, thanks for the insight.  Your comments make me feel better about looking at this as a solution.  Unfortunately, I have been briefed that Christmas is coming and to knot, um, not go hog wild and buy everything that might be a Christmas present. ;) 

Will have to be next weekend, Mark.  I currently have an ill spouse and need to move some stuff around my office.  it's always good to make sure you don't hit walls when you train.  It's a small office.  On a side note that my wife suggested, in her cough syrup haze, if I do find an injury while doing the Fundamentals just report it and form a correction with y'all, yes?

Robert

• Upvote 1

Mark Collins

If you have any problems just post on the forum and you will get alot of help.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:56 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Robert,

Old we can work with; our oldest student is 73 now.

Big we can work with; our heaviest student is 230-240lbs.

Tall we can work with; our tallest student is 6'6".

Ugly ... Sorry, there are limits to what even I can fix! ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

That last point...DAMN Coach Sommer! You're savage!

• Upvote 1

Robert Fuller
2 hours ago, Jesse Kim said:

That last point...DAMN Coach Sommer! You're savage!

It's a sad story, but a true one. ;)