Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

3 quick questions

Rampage

If the answer to these questions is found easily here, then I'm terribly sorry, but I didn't see it :?

1- How would I go about doing a flag? What are the basic requirements/steps/techniques of doing one?

2- When doing HSPU's with the wall, which is best, back-to-wall version, or stomach-to-wall? And why?

3- Same thing as #1 with Muscle-ups on the bars (don't have rings yet), how would I go about doing them?

Thanks to anyone who answers...

Neal Winkler

(1) It's in the book.

(2) Stomach to wall, because it forces better alignment.

(3) There's 8 bagillion videos on youtube, dude.

1. There are some progressions in GB for the flag. I think an individual should be able to do a body lever and wide arm HS on a wall before tackling these besides some pulling strength (think rope climbs without legs).

2. Oddly enough, in the book they are down back to wall yet other versions require the elbows to be "in" vs "splayed out". Stomach to wall tends to be more difficult, especially if the elbows track "in" meaning the shoulders are ahead of the hands (like a planche somewhat).

3. Chest to bar pullups focusing on pulling to your breastbone and false grip pullups to your chest. Deep dips. Without a set of rings? Get some rope and PVC that is long enough to fit in your hands. Thread the rope through the PVC and hang it over the bar and tying it. You can even make PVC rings if you want. http://crossfitcenturion.wordpress.com/equipment-on-the-cheap/ I'd rather just buy a set of rings.

~Muscle-ups on bars are tough. You can practice doing dips on a single rail if you can get up there somehow and work doing negative muscle-ups. You can also kip the MU or start in a false grip or you will need to have a very strong pull and dip.

Neal Winkler

Whoops, I thought he was asking about training handstands, not HSPU. My bad. Didn't read the question very well, it was late a night and I should of been in bed.

1. There are some progressions in GB for the flag. I think an individual should be able to do a body lever and wide arm HS on a wall before tackling these besides some pulling strength (think rope climbs without legs).

2. Oddly enough, in the book they are down back to wall yet other versions require the elbows to be "in" vs "splayed out". Stomach to wall tends to be more difficult, especially if the elbows track "in" meaning the shoulders are ahead of the hands (like a planche somewhat).

3. Chest to bar pullups focusing on pulling to your breastbone and false grip pullups to your chest. Deep dips. Without a set of rings? Get some rope and PVC that is long enough to fit in your hands. Thread the rope through the PVC and hang it over the bar and tying it. You can even make PVC rings if you want. http://crossfitcenturion.wordpress.com/equipment-on-the-cheap/ I'd rather just buy a set of rings.

~Muscle-ups on bars are tough. You can practice doing dips on a single rail if you can get up there somehow and work doing negative muscle-ups. You can also kip the MU or start in a false grip or you will need to have a very strong pull and dip.

Thanks for the answer, I'll try them out.

1#- I don't have a medicine ball or a thing like the kid has in the body lever video, to do them like that, so I could only do them on a bench press bench I have, but I can't do that many. I can also hold wide arm HS on the wall.

2#- Stomach to wall were really difficult and uncomfortable, I could only do 2, but back to wall I can do like 5. Is stomach to wall really better?

3#- Some months ago I tried doing MU, and I got pretty close, but what I couldn't do was obviously the switch between the pullup and the dip: I would always bring up one arm and then the other, I could never bring them both together and that's why I couldn't do it.

I always do deep dips, I don't do them until I make a 90º angle, I always go as deep as I can.

A question I had about MU is this: do you use the same grip as when doing pullups, or do you have to change your grip for them?

#1 We simply do body levers on the floor holding something like a post or the support of a balance beam without that mini vault table trainer.

#2 yep, stomach to wall tend to be more difficult because you may stay more hollow. If you want, you can still arch your back and recruit your chest muscles to do it but my numbers tended to reflect that I did half as many stomach to wall last I remember when I tested them this way.

#3 keep trying, doing a struggle-up is pretty common (one hand at a time-joke) when learning the MU.

#3 keep trying, doing a struggle-up is pretty common (one hand at a time-joke) when learning the MU.

I tried doing MU in the corner of the fence of the tennis court I was playing in today, the bars there are probably the same width as my PB but they were of course in a 90° angle, so I grabbed them and tried doing one and I could do it, I did several of them with both arms at the same time, with correct technique then.

Surprised that maybe I can do them now (while not having practiced them), I went to try them out at my PB, and I got really mad because I couldn't do a single one, I always lifted one arm first :x

Is doing them in the corner of a fence like I did them today, a lot easier? They felt easy to do there...

no idea, I've heard of doing them on PB, but I generally just do them on HB.

What's "HB"? Didn't see it on the WOD Acronyms.

I had another question: are straddle PL/FL the same as the full PL/FL, in which the legs are together and straight? Why does the article in the PL and FL progressions that C. Sommer did only leads to a straddle PL/FL?

no idea, I've heard of doing them on PB, but I generally just do them on HB.

What's "HB"? Didn't see it on the WOD Acronyms.

HB stands for High Bar

Neal Winkler
I had another question: are straddle PL/FL the same as the full PL/FL, in which the legs are together and straight? Why does the article in the PL and FL progressions that C. Sommer did only leads to a straddle PL/FL?

No, straddle means the legs are spread open.