Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foot Ganglion Cyst question and exercises

George Traganidas 235308

George Traganidas 235308

Hi,

I have a question that might be out of topic, but I wanted to ask anyway. I know that for most medical conditions I need to ask for a professional medical opinion, but I have a question about treating a Ganglion Cyst at the foot through exercise. My wife has developed one on her left foot, by doing gym exercises and running. It does not hurt her, but she finds it annoying and a doctor recommended that she has a procedure to remove it. I have heard in one of the videos of the coaches, that the wrist exercise series from Fundamentals has helped people who had a Ganglion Cyst at the hands to reduce it over time. I wanted to ask if there are any recommendation of foot exercise (strength, stretching, mobility) that might help her to reduce its size.

I know if it a bit of a long shot question, but I thought I will give it a try.

Thanks,

George

Petra Dvorak

Specially if it doesn't hurt, sure do not make any OP. Most ganglions will fill up again as the joint produces liquid.

Do specific stabilizing exercises foot the feet, wear good shoes (if you run a lot have 2-3 different pairs)

and improve running technique with ABC running drills (for example

• 3 weeks later...

Hi George,

Good question. There is no definitive answer as to why ganglion cysts form, but I would say it is most definitely because a joint is under too much pressure. It makes sense that if a joint is compressed then the fluid will try to move outwards as fluid can not be compresses into a smaller volume.

I take it the cyst is on the dorsal aspect of your wife's foot (upper surface), somewhere under the laces of the shoe?

I would have her articulate her foot in circles, really focusing on the toe point, as well as walking bear foot. It may be that one of the cuneiform joints is compacted and could do with being adjusted. Maybe a visit to Chiropractor or Osteopath could help.

Wesley

George Traganidas 235308

Thank you for your replies guys. I will have my wife do some movement exercises from the video and visit a Chiro or Osteo about it as well.

@Wesley Tan do you think that doing the start of the Front Splits that focuses on ankle, foot and calf strength and mobility might cause more harm than good? My initial thought was to have her do that, up to the point that she does not feel any pain of course and she how it goes.

Alessandro Mainente

HI George, as a general point, try to stay away from exercises which can cause pressure or pain in the affected area.

@George Traganidas trying the front splits progressions as you mention is a good idea. The seiza progressions in particular will do well do mobilize the mid foot joints. 

Of course, if there are is a large amount of discomfort she can ease off the exercises but pain does not always equal tissue damage. With issues like ganglion cysts, which tend to occur in the small joints of the mid foot and wrist, mobilizing the joints and restoring normal positions and motion be an uncomfortable process. 

Any sharp, sudden jolts of pain should not be ignored however!