Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MAF Heart Rate Aerobic Training

Eric Bruenner

Was curious to hear @Coach Sommer or any other coaches' or experienced trainees' opinion on using the Maffetone Method for cardiovascular conditioning as a supplement to GST/Foundations.  I tracked down some of coach's older comments on running, the gist of which was that lower weekly mileage (the ~6 mi/week range in either a 3x2mi or 2x3mi split) was perfectly fine.

Curious to hear any opinions on the Maffetone Method (i.e. heart rate training at 180-Age).  Is this method compatible with GST?  If so, are the weekly mileage recommendations the same, given the gentle nature of the training?

I like the MAF method due to the auto-regulation and the possibility of using different modalities (i.e. bike, rower, rucking, running, etc.)

Thanks!

It sounds excellent and I'd like to try it, but at the moment my schedule is full. It would complement GST nicely as I understand it, but this is just an opinion from my reading, not based on experience :)

• Upvote 1

Hi Eric,

I gave it a whirl last December through March. I used it primarily as a method to get running into my warm up. During the ol' days of the "de-load", I would progress the run time, (since I had extra energy), then maintain that duration during the 3 week Foundation training. Built up to 45-100 minute runs.  

The purpose was not being tired after a 3 mile jog while at the same time not hampering Foundation 1 training.

On 9/23/2016 at 9:00 PM, Ryan Bailey said:

Hi Eric,

I gave it a whirl last December through March. I used it primarily as a method to get running into my warm up. During the ol' days of the "de-load", I would progress the run time, (since I had extra energy), then maintain that duration during the 3 week Foundation training. Built up to 45-100 minute runs.  

The purpose was not being tired after a 3 mile jog while at the same time not hampering Foundation 1 training.

It sounds like you don't use it any more. Was it effective?

It was effective for my goal of slowly introducing running into my Foundation 1 centered training.

It felt like recovery in a way. I always had the mindset it was temporary, so no I do not use it now.

Also, reading @Everett Carroll 's post in another running thread discussed 3-5 mile run weekly with fartlek style run weekly. This made sense as I got into better shape (ie... running 1 hour comfortably) and works well with my goals currently to compliment foundation.

Overall, I think I would fall asleep running with the slow heart rate monitor style of aerobics. I like it for temporary, periodizing the building of a base. Eventually you crave a little more "get up and go" training unless long distance endurance is the goal.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older post but I had the same question so worth a shot.

I am running both MAF and Gymnastic Bodies side by side. I started MAF about 2 years ago, been on GB about 9 months. 

There are some compatibility issues! 

The GB workout is, I think, necessarily sustained activity in the that anaerobic zone that Dr. Maffetone would tell you to stay out of. 

My MAF running has gone way backward since starting GB. I think that spending an hour in the "chronic cardio" zone, with all the stress hormones that are released as a result of that, dramatically effects the bodies ability to work out in the MAF zone. 

I am thinking of wearing my heart rate monitor while doing GB and just working until my heart rate gets out of the MAF zone, then done. I'll be able to check off "easy" when I can do the prescribed exercise in the MAF zone -- talk about easy.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this from anyone who is familiar with the MAF method!

Affan Osman

Maffeton states on his site: "The MAF Test can be done with any exercise except weight-lifting. The test can also be performed on stationary equipment such as a treadmill or other apparatus that measures power output."

Even though GB is mostly body weight, it is still comparable to weight lifting. So I don't think it applies to GB. That being said I heard of MAF last summer and started applying it to my runs. I kept a target HR of 145 and it did help me get faster at the same HR for the next couple of months. After that though I stopped it. Seemed to much of a hassle to be honest. Although I have learned quite a bit from that experience and now most of my runs are 'easy' runs. Only 20% of my runs are difficult ones such as tempo, intervals, hill fartleks etc. This has helped me get faster even though overall my running mileage has gone down as I am more focused on GST strength and mobility aspects.

• 2 weeks later...
Tony Johnson

I only do F7 once a week and the stretch courses once a week. I think that level of intensity is totally compatible with MAF.  It's only really an elevation of heart rate above MAF once a week as the stretches are not intense. Having said that I'm struggling to dedicate enough time to the MAF training so have let that slide whilst I totally concentrate on my mobility deficits and GST.  

I'm not sure Mr Maffetone would agree, it would be worth asking a question on the Endurance Planet podcast as he his regularly featured on that show. I'd be very interested to hear his answer, as a recovering endurance athlete, I'd like to think that GST and MAF would be an excellent long term health span promoting combo!

T

Douglas Wadle

Just remember, he who always runs slow in training, runs slow all the time.  Maffetone method is a means of wt loss and aerobic base training.  Even Maffetone's athletes do interval and speed training, not always the purely aerobic aspect.  He developed this method as a means of getting out of shape, middle-aged people running and losing weight. It's also great for improving your aerobic capacity. But just remember you should mix in some intervals and faster workouts.  All depends on your baseline and your goals.

• Upvote 3

Jon Douglas

I've had an interesting little time using this method with weighted vest fast walking, using a heart rate monitor. The difference after 6 weeks is noticable. Certainly i haven't dropped my GST though, which includes dynamic training.

• Upvote 1