Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

V-sits

Erik Sjolin

This is a strength element I've heard a lot about and seen a lot in "Building The Gymnastic Body", but it's never really shown how to develop it (or maybe it is and I've been overlooking it). Would a good way to build up the strength necesarry be to at first hold the position on the floor or hanging from a bar, then proceed to a tuck, straddle and pike, or should I just attempt to perform a L-sit lift as is shown on the sticky?

I can hold a tuck V, but when I try and straighten my legs they simply won't extend. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

the middle split hold from manna progression will be your best friend. I usually enter the V from the straddle hold, however as Coach mentions in the book, raising the legs like this will not continue to develop the further pressing strength necessary to raise the hips up to manna. still it is a nice test to check your progress.

full hanging leg lift is another pre requisite.

• 5 weeks later...

Why do L sits and V sits seem much, and I mean much, easier to hold for time on parallettes than on the floor or even hanging?

Why do L sits and V sits seem much, and I mean much, easier to hold for time on parallettes than on the floor or even hanging?

I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that you grip the parallettes (thereby 'recruiting' extra overall body tension). Not exactly scientific but that's what it feels like to me. Similarly, I find it easier to hold an L-sit on the floor with a first-knuckle support as opposed to a flat palm support. More tension.

• 3 weeks later...

Would a good way to train V-sits be to put your legs (from ankles to glutes) on a bare section of wall, then hold yourself up using just your arms? I tried this yesterday and it really engaged my core and tricep. I figure the progressions would be just slowly move your hands under your glutes until you're freestanding.

Or if I should just start training on the manna, I have just one question; which way should my fingers be pointing?

Manna can be trained with fingers forward or back, it's pretty much a personal decision though many use fingers back version.