Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My outdoor Pull-up/Rings/Rope Climbing Station

super_hippie

Here is my outdoor gym.

It consists of (2) 16' 6x6 posts, buried 4 feet deep and just over 7 feet apart. The top bar is at 11'6'', and is a 1 1/4 galvanized pipe that is 10 feet long from Lowe's.

The lower pipe is at 8' high and is a 1'' galvanized pipe. I used a threaded plate on the left post so that I can screw/unscrew the pipe as I choose to.

The first image is without the lower pipe, and the second shows the lower pipe installed and my climbing rope to the right.

IMG_1366400x533.jpg

IMG_1446400x488.jpg

I finally got to use the rope a little while ago. I got it for Christmas and have had rain/work ever since. This was my first time ever climbing a rope, haha. I did it hands only, but it was not graceful. I ended up going around the rope as I went up, hahaha. I am sure anyone watching was loving it! This station is great because it allows me the ability to do standard pull-ups (strict, kipping, commando, etc), low ring work (push-ups, body rows, ring flys, etc.), high ring work, and use the climbing rope in a very minimal amount of space.

• Upvote 1

Very nice, but how the hell did you get the rope up there? :lol:

I expect a ladder, but you could get some extra webbing straps and loop it through the rope, then you could toss it over the bar and maybe attach it to an anchor in the ground or in an extra pole on the wooden beams. It might need to be offset a bit so it is vertical down. This is presuming you take it in out of the rain.

Haha, yeah I used a ladder. It comes down after each use because it is a manila rope. I wanted a polyplus rope that could be left outside, but they are so expensive. This one was only $77.50 from Rogue Fitness, http://www.roguefitness.com/store/climbing_ropes.php. I plan on buying some climbing holds and screwing them to the 6x6. That way, I have to climb them to attach the rope, then I will climb down them or the rope.

Thats a good idea with the holds, it would act as a warmup too. Are climbing holds expensive? you could just have more bits of pipe sticking out.

I got my manila a little cheaper but had to attach my own loop to it which was thinner poly rope attached with hose clips.

ropejg9.jpg

trigripropehj4.jpg

Nice set-up.

No, the holds, for what I need, are not expensive.

10 screw-on hand holds for $25.95

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/screw-on_hand_holds.html

I figure that will be enough to get me up there, and still give me a little variety in holds.

Metolius makes great gear. I have had their "Simulator" hanging over my bedroom door for a few years and it works very well.

They look good, to be honest I was not sure what the holds even looked like. Just thinking again you (or more likely others) could simply nail/screw bits of wood to the beam to act as small ledges, but I presume you are into climbing so it would serve you well to have proper ones.

• 1 month later...

Awesome set up. Pretty sure that I'll copy it. Just wondering how you dug the holes and made sure the posts were secure? Thanks

Hey, I dug very large diameter holes with post hole diggers. The holes were about 12-16 inches in diameter and then I put a little dirt in, tamped it, put a little dirt in, tamped it, and continued until the holes were full. Keep in mind you need to put a level on the post every little bit to make sure you have the post going vertical and not angled, haha. Tamped with a long pole for the bottom portion, then as it got closer I used an 8 pound sledge. I have red clay here, which packs very well. If you are up north, where the soil is very loose, you may need to use concrete. Good luck! Hope it works out well for ya.

Thanks. My dad says I can do it as long as I dig the hole :roll: . Suppose it will take a weekend or two with primitive tools but that will mean rings and punchbag sorted so worth every minute 8) .

My shoulder is finally healed, I tore a muscle about a month ago. It took me 2 weeks before I could take a deep breath. It was NOT fun. Haven't been able to do anything as far as working out until the last few days. I am, very slowly, building back up to where I was. I do not want to re-injure myself. Slow & steady wins the race, haha.

I don't think I could do a muscle-up if I had to right now. The day before I injured my shoulder I did 6....oh well, at least I have a goal to get back to. :D

• 1 year later...