Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David Sigthorsson

David Sigthorsson

I'm looking for advice/recommendations concerning returning to training after carpal tunnel release surgery from experienced trainers or people who have gone through it?

It seems so many if not most of the gymnastic exercises rely on at least being able to put weight on your wrist and then more and more so as you progress.  Any advice? Tips? Expectations? Etc

Some background:  I recently went through my worst flare of carpal tunnel syndrome, ending with proper diagnosis, EMG, and then successful carpal tunnel release surgery (first on my right hand, soon on my left).  I'm recovering quickly so far but I expect I'll be asked to not put pressure on my palms for a few weeks more at least. I'm in my late 30s, fairly fit and strong compared to the average person and I'd gone through the foundation series and was working into the fundamentals.  I was/am looking forward to progressing on with the program/s.

Everett Carroll

Hi David,

@Mark Collins and @Wesley Tan are the most qualified to answer this. It is always best to check with a medical professional in person about issues like this. Nothing beats an in person assesment. This is the most reliable way to find out what is safe and what your specific limitations may be. 

• Upvote 1

Randall Osborne
3 hours ago, David Sigthorsson said:

I'm looking for advice/recommendations concerning returning to training after carpal tunnel release surgery from experienced trainers or people who have gone through it?

It seems so many if not most of the gymnastic exercises rely on at least being able to put weight on your wrist and then more and more so as you progress.  Any advice? Tips? Expectations? Etc

Some background:  I recently went through my worst flare of carpal tunnel syndrome, ending with proper diagnosis, EMG, and then successful carpal tunnel release surgery (first on my right hand, soon on my left).  I'm recovering quickly so far but I expect I'll be asked to not put pressure on my palms for a few weeks more at least. I'm in my late 30s, fairly fit and strong compared to the average person and I'd gone through the foundation series and was working into the fundamentals.  I was/am looking forward to progressing on with the program/s.

I had CT surgery on both wrists.  I was doing Crossfit then.  It has been some years, but I remember doing some slow pull-ups a couple of weeks out.  For a few months I did any floor work/push-ups with an ab-mat for cushion.  

• Upvote 1