Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A few questions on L-sits and HLR

MCem222

Hey guys. I just joined this forum, and hope to start advancing my skills

I started working on L-sits and HLR about a month ago. Since, I've gone from barely being able to get into an L to holding it for 30 seconds. I hold it on the ground, either on my fist or knucles (not strong enough to hold on fingertips), and since my legs are 90 degrees are only an inch or two off the ground, I'm assuming that keeps my form in check.

However, I'm not sure how much I close my hips. I have tried to straighten my back, which makes it harder, but I naturally gravitate toward closing my hips and holding it for longer.

So, when I'm doing L-sits, should I just focus on keeping my legs at 90 degrees, or also maintain a straight back?

About HLR, I don't have nearly the flexibility to do a full one without closing my hips a lot. I can get into a hanging L, but for the rest of the motion, I'm more tilting my back than lifting my legs. I think its more a matter of flexibility than strength, because I can do 10-12 HLR this way

I do this on a door-mounted chinup bar, by the way. Not an ideal setup. Should I close the door behind me and keep my back on it, to simulate being on stall bars? Otherwise, how could I work on flexiblity?

Oh yea, one last thing. What sort of lower back exercises should I be doing to complement these abdominal exercises? Treat my like a complete newbie, because I don't really know any

Thanks,

MCem

Nick Van Bockxmeer
So, when I'm doing L-sits, should I just focus on keeping my legs at 90 degrees, or also maintain a straight back?

from holding your legs parallel, try to straighten your back and bring the hips forward in line with the hands. Don't expect to be able to do this in one session. Would help if you had p bars or parallets.

Should I close the door behind me and keep my back on it, to simulate being on stall bars?

sounds good. work both passive and active flexibility to improve your leg raise.

What sort of lower back exercises should I be doing to complement these abdominal exercises?

superman - lie stomach down, raise the legs and torso off the ground as high as you can

arch up - lie over a table or object on stomach, have someone hold your feet. bend at the hips and drop your torso downwards. Raise back up past horizontal into an arched position

reverse leg lift - lying: lie on a table or bench where u can grab onto something. bend at the hips and drop your legs downards. Raise back up to horizontal or slightly past

reverse leg lift - hanging: hard to explain without a picture. an inverted variation or the hanging leg lift hanging with the hands by the hips.

reverse leg lift - wall press handstand: you can further decrease the difficulty of this variation by straddling the legs and/or bending the arms

Thanks for the thorough response, nick

I've been doing L-sits in front of a mirror, so I can better see what it means to bring my hips in line with my hands.

The lower back exercises have not been going so well. Actually, I pulled a muscle today in my back, in the back of the shoulder, so ill have to take it easy for a little bit. I pulled the muscle doing dips. After doing it, the spot hurt if I arched my back, like a superman motion. I was doing supermans the day before, I hope I wasn't doing them wrong