Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder decompression

Kevin Easton

I have a lot of strength/power when doing shrugs likely from years of deadlifting and past weight training.  

What I have come to realize is that my shoulder decompression is weak.  I can briefly hold an L-sit on an elevated surface, but with my hands on the ground I can't lift myself up.  

I am going to assume, I don't have the shoulder decompression strength to force my scapula and shoulders down so my hands can reach below my butt under weight. 

Do you guys have any suggestions on exercises that help with shoulder compression? 

Do you mean shoulder depression (pushing your scapulae downward)? I had the same problem and assumed my torso was just abnormally long for my arms and that was why I couldn't get my butt off the ground on a flat L-seat. When my pike flexibility improved along with abdominal strength, so did my L-sit. Try leaning forward into a really tight pike when you attempt the L-sit, which should put your hands forward of your butt instead of right under it.

• Upvote 1

I believe what you mean is scapular depression and protraction... Are you already doing the Foundations course? Specially the straddle Planche (sPL)-Progressions and Hollow Back Press (HBP) train this movement, in the Manna-Elements you will train your hip mobility and compression ability and core to perform the L-Sit

nice article btw: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/how-to-do-an-l-sit-what-why-and-how/

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

What are you referring to it scapula depression. probably with tight traps the range of motion can be reduced a bit. stretch the traps which are very tight when you do heavy lift and increase the depression strength.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Lloyd Sparks said:

Do you mean shoulder depression (pushing your scapulae downward)? I had the same problem and assumed my torso was just abnormally long for my arms and that was why I couldn't get my butt off the ground on a flat L-seat. When my pike flexibility improved along with abdominal strength, so did my L-sit. Try leaning forward into a really tight pike when you attempt the L-sit, which should put your hands forward of your butt instead of right under it.

This is not the correct way to perform L-sit. a clear 90° angle between upperbody and lower limb must be showed.

• Upvote 1

I can do a perfect L-sit on apparatus, but my arms are not long enough to do one on the floor unless I rest on my knuckles or fingertips. My choice is between modifying my hand support or making the angle of the L-sit more acute. Suggestions?

• Upvote 1

Lloyd, 

Ive been there, I always thought my arms were to short for L-sits.

Shoulder depression is key also strong abs! Doing L-sit on the knuckles is an ok progression to work, flat hands will come soon. Nothing in Gymnastics comes easy, keep training it will happen. 

Would love to see a video of your L-sit. :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lloyd Sparks said:

I can do a perfect L-sit on apparatus, but my arms are not long enough to do one on the floor unless I rest on my knuckles or fingertips. My choice is between modifying my hand support or making the angle of the L-sit more acute. Suggestions?

Hi Lloyd,

Unless you are part T-rex, your arms are long enough for an Lsit on the floor. ;)

What you are currently lacking is scapular depression strength, not arm length. 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

On September 10, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Julian Aldag said:

Being a t-rex is no excuse!

aaawwwwww, this is so adorable… ha ha, that's how I feel sometimes… but it's not an excuse… dream it… achieve it!  :-) 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 2:38 AM, Kevin Easton said:

Do you guys have any suggestions on exercises that help with shoulder compression? 

How about getting into upper arm support on parallel bars (the bottom position of Russian dips) then pushing yourself up by depressing your shoulders. Takes the triceps out of the equation and could be done for reps or for time.