Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand alignment and scoliosis

Santiago Pinzón

Santiago Pinzón

Has anybody experience alignment problems in the handstand due to scoliosis? I have scoliosis (diagnostic by a doctor) that is not very bad, but I have struggle with the handstand for more than 6 months now, I have worked on all of the bodyline drills, rebalancing drills, mobility but I still cannot balance it. I went to a handbalancing class and they told me I have one arm pushing harder than the other (my stronger one) and my hips a little bit turn to one side, which trows my alignment off. Would you advise trying to solve the scoliosis, or adjusting my handstand form to work around this problem?

This is my handstand form right now, without a wall and with it. I don't think my alignment is terrible, but I STILL CANNOT BALANCE IT.
P.s. I work on the handstand daily, have attended gymnastics classes specifically for the handstand and now handbalancing ones, so please don't just say "practice more"

Captura de pantalla 2016-09-08 a las 12.08.10 p.m..png

Alessandro Mainente

From the right pic it seems not so bad, do you have a pic from the from (where I can see your shoulders )without the T-shirt?

Santiago Pinzón

I just realized I take my left hand a little bit to the side, the right one is closer to my ear. Maybe is that, I don't even know if I should worry about the little scoliosis! Maybe I just need more rebalancing practice... If I may ask 1) Should the hips be in a external rotation position? and 2) what is the time after which you would worry about your handstand progress? I mean, like if after 6 months it is normal to be at this position but only being able to hold it for 2 seconds and fall (90% of the time is to my feet). 

Alessandro Mainente

Fro sure you had some imbalances but not so big. consider that also without proper scoliosis we can have imbalances (like me, I have asymmetrical abs), your point of imbalance are your right rectus femoris that can create rotation of the hips (this happened to me some time ago) and your left shoulders , it is more opened to the side sue to internal rotator and capsule restriction. it can be solved with stretch course of the T-spine.

• Upvote 1

Santiago Pinzón

Ok thank you for the amazing advices! I will 1) try to look for ways to decrease my imbalances (I am currently going to a doctor that can help me with that + working wall handstands being aware of hand placement) and 2) try to worry more about the balancing part.

David McManamon

When one hand is pushing harder than another you can take two common bathroom scales and balance on them or train handstand on easier versions of rolla-bolla which require even pressing for both hands.  If you don't have a spotter checking your form consider training with your head neutral looking at a mirror or your camera to correct imbalances immediately instead of letting them become a habit.  Keep working on those details and your handstand will arrive.

Edited by David McManamon
grammar error
  • Upvote 1

Santiago Pinzón

Yes I saw once how one guy would do skype sessions with himself to be able to check his form in real time-I will try to do that. Would you say handstand blocks would help me too?

I like the idea of Skype sessions but there are other ways, that would have less delay (Skype is pretty slow). If you have an Android phone, tons of apps like IP webcam could do the job, and if you have a Samsung phone specifically, you might be able to use SideSync (for relatively recent models anyway).

Regardless of what you do, checking your form in real time is pretty nice. I put the laptop between my hands during handstands and can instantly correct myself. It's definitely worth the hassle of setting up, and you can use it for other moves.

• Upvote 2