Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8 Glasses of water a day=BS

James Coppola

James Coppola

How someone came up with this is beyond my simple thinking. Essentially telling someone that they need to drink 8 glasses of water a day is like saying they have to breathe x amount in a day to survive. If you continue to drink water even when you're not thirsty you will be damaging your body.  

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Drinking 8 glasses of water a day for an active person is not bullshit. If you're active then 8 glasses isn't that much. Hell, I drink upwards of 2 liters a day sometimes, even more. But I'm also quite active and prone to sweating. 

• Upvote 1

James that number came out as a average for people to drink. Everything from a 65 year old man that is 6 foot and 180 pounds to a 14 year old boy, etc. So yea, that number probably doesn't work for you but, for some it does. 

• Upvote 5

Toni Laukkavaara
23 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Drinking 8 glasses of water a day for an active person is not bullshit. If you're active then 8 glasses isn't that much. Hell, I drink upwards of 2 liters a day sometimes, even more. But I'm also quite active and prone to sweating. 

2l for me too. I always have a 2 liter bottle with me at desk :)

• Upvote 1

Petri Widsten

I rarely drink more than 500 mL per day of (mineral) water unless you count tea/coffee, then maybe 1L max. Usually my gym is so cold I don't even break a sweat except in summer when it's too hot and it can get to 2L a day.

James Coppola
1 hour ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Looking back at the way I worded the topic I can see why you responded like this. What I mean is that you shouldn't be drinking an x amount of water whether that be 3, 5, 8 or 20 (glasses) unless your body is telling you to. For example, I used to follow this rule of drinking 8 glasses of water a day and I would do it even if I wasn't thirsty. Now I just drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I'm not. Some days I may drink 1 glass of water others more. It all depends on how much I sweat, environmental factors etc.   

• Upvote 1

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
13 hours ago, James Coppola said:

Looking back at the way I worded the topic I can see why you responded like this. What I mean is that you shouldn't be drinking an x amount of water whether that be 3, 5, 8 or 20 (glasses) unless your body is telling you to. For example, I used to follow this rule of drinking 8 glasses of water a day and I would do it even if I wasn't thirsty. Now I just drink when I'm thirsty and stop when I'm not. Some days I may drink 1 glass of water others more. It all depends on how much I sweat, environmental factors etc.   

Well, duh. The eight glasses of water a day is a guideline, but it certainly isn't bullshit. Drinking one glass of water day seems a little low, though, to be fair. But, yes all things considered I'm not only and always drinking eight glasses of water. It varies.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Sami Miettinen

There is perhaps no other factor that so clearly impacts on performance than hydration state. Most athletes, regardless of the sport, could gain an immediate performance benefit by taking steps to assure that they stay hydrated all the time. To do this, relying on thirst as the only stimulus to drinking is inadequate. Since the thirst mechanism does not occur until we have already lost a substantial amount of water (about 1.5 liters), reliance on thirst guarantees that we will perform in an under hydrated state, and performance will be negatively affected. If we do not drink enough during the day, it is highly likely that we will start our workouts in a dehydrated state, and the results will not be optimal.

• Upvote 2

Realistically, guidelines are guidelines and, as generalizations, are not going to be individualized. Better than nothing for the general populous though and a place to start for some.

• Upvote 2

Check out the work of Tim Noakes including Waterlogged. Makes for an interesting read re water. I drink for thirst, but that usually means 2+ litres a day, more if it is hot and I'm working hard.

• Upvote 1

Drinking is simple...first make sure your body is in a healthy state to give you correct information and then listen to your body (an unhealthy body is going to crave unhealthy things). Who cares how much you end up drinking as long as you listen to your healthy body you will thrive.   

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.