Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Runny nose/sneezing and Loose Stool from Eating Oats.

James Coppola

James Coppola

And yes, I would ask this question to a stranger on the street without any hesitation. That's how I roll;)

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
Johanna Van Genderen

Do you happen to make your oats with milk? If so, it might be the milk rather than the oats that cause the problem. And you are right, if something doesn't agree with you, stop eating it. :)

• Upvote 2

James Coppola
13 hours ago, Johanna Van Genderen said:

Do you happen to make your oats with milk? If so, it might be the milk rather than the oats that cause the problem. And you are right, if something doesn't agree with you, stop eating it. :)

No, I try to avoid milk as much as possible because it creates a build up of mucus for me. An interesting thing has happened recently though, I started eating rolled oats and my nose was fine afterwards. I'm not sure how this is possible. I can't remember if I ate quick oats before.  

Frankincensed

Oats are less allergenic then many grains. It's possible there was a contaminant? And if they are the powdery type that stuff can migrate and perhaps is irritating you. Have you tried the steel cut or scotch oats? Less powdery. Oats are hard to beat for the nutrition/cost so hopefully you can use them again!

• 1 month later...

Ha! Much respect for the brevity of the question. Must be and Eagle (DOPE personality type).

I have the same reaction to quick oats but not as much to the less processed ones. 

Check out the FODmap diet, it has a bunch of possible allergens that can cause IBS listed.

Dan

• Upvote 1

James Coppola
23 hours ago, Daniel Kiely said:

Ha! Much respect for the brevity of the question. Must be and Eagle (DOPE personality type).

I have the same reaction to quick oats but not as much to the less processed ones. 

Check out the FODmap diet, it has a bunch of possible allergens that can cause IBS listed.

Dan

Thanks for the information Daniel. I'll definitely check out that FODmap diet. 

For the past couple of months I've been eating rolled oats and honey and so far not as much sneezing and stomach problems.

Or you could go see the Dr. get some blood work and test. Get some concrete data then take action or randomly cut out foods aka FODmap. 

• Upvote 1

Richard Harper

Fascinating. I've only ever had the slightly loose stool effect. Nothing more. I also metabolise oats super fast and feel almost shaky with hunger an hour afterwards which counters the general consensus that "a bowl o' porridge'll fill ya up". 

I've never figured it out. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Richard Harper said:

Fascinating. I've only ever had the slightly loose stool effect. Nothing more. I also metabolise oats super fast and feel almost shaky with hunger an hour afterwards which counters the general consensus that "a bowl o' porridge'll fill ya up". 

I've never figured it out. 

Ever tried adding some more ingredients? Nuts, seeds, dried or fresh fruit like in Muesli recipes?!
"Bircher Muesli" was created to nurture the sick back to health. In the old days before there were such things as quick oats, whole rolled oats were soaked in water and lemon juice over night to make them easy to digest. Mixed with grated apple (grandma's remedy for kids with gas etc.)  and some off the above ingredients it's the perfect breakfast.
I eat oats every morning adding some coconut or flaxseed oil, mixed nuts, chia/flax or hempseeds, dried cranberries or raisins and occasionally banana or apple slices. 

Richard Harper
19 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

Ever tried adding some more ingredients? Nuts, seeds, dried or fresh fruit like in Muesli recipes?!
"Bircher Muesli" was created to nurture the sick back to health. In the old days before there were such things as quick oats, whole rolled oats were soaked in water and lemon juice over night to make them easy to digest. Mixed with grated apple (grandma's remedy for kids with gas etc.)  and some off the above ingredients it's the perfect breakfast.
I eat oats every morning adding some coconut or flaxseed oil, mixed nuts, chia/flax or hempseeds, dried cranberries or raisins and occasionally banana or apple slices. 

Oh yea. I totally agree. I never have oats plain and often have ground oats rather than quick or processed oats and I have a plethora of different seeds, fruit and yoghurt etc with it. 

I feel it's something about the nature of oats, they just metabolise so fast for me compared to say, quinoa, rice or another grain. 

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.