Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Important strenght exercises for the pommel horse

Mats Trane

Coach Sommer

Circles done in volume; aiming for 30-50 repetitions, coupled with agricultural or "ag" walks. Picture seal walks across the floor done in four different positions and with a flat back and extended chest. If time permits today, I will film agricultural walks and post a video.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks coach, a film or an explanation of agricultural or "ag" walks would be great cause I never heard of it. Also a description of the seal walk

would be great. Again thanks for a great site!!!

For strength on pommel at the beginning levels is just simply the ability to hold certain positions for time. Back support, front support, stride support, straddled front support with one leg at horizontal, front support leaning to one side.

From there walking around the horse " around the worlds, " travel ups and down across the pommels and supplementary support work on parallel bars.

For circle stuff, zillions of bucket circles early on are a good start. I have my little guys walk in a pushup position in a circle with their feet on top of the mushroom. As well as just holding side supports on one arm.

As for those ag walks, I call them " seal walks or drags ." Find something that will move on carpet and drag it by walking with the hands and the shoulders rounded and the back not sagging. Reverse the movement, by getting into a " table [ back support with belly to the ceiling ] " and walk backwards. Feet are still in the frisbee or whatever you are using to slide.

I guess these could be done in side support too.

John Sapinoso

and when you get really good...magyars across the floor

[=

Guest Valentin

For my beginners (ohh wait they all are now haha.. hate when kids quit, but circle of life and all) on pommel we do

Predominantly P-bars walks front, back uphill, downhill etc.

Supports (as already said)

Leg kicks and holds (working that active flexibility)

Bouncing on the tramp with super tight body in front and rear support, and then side support (on forearm not on hand...to much load on the wrist that way..)

Circles hanging of the High Bar

Pendulum swing to 1 side and place bottom leg on pommel, and stop hold of 2sec, then swing back the other way and stop hold for 2 sets of that for 10. its pretty tough, but its develops that weight shift, leg kick and hold, body position.

On circles.. We do 1/4,1/2, 3/4,1/1 (circle hops) (its a drill but its good conditioning as well at that level)

From support position on the floor, they hop their feet around into the 1/4 then if they get that 1/4 entry right they can move on to 1/2, and then 3/4 and so on. Focus shifts depending on the session and their progress, but first thing i get them to work on is hip entry, and making sure that their body faces forwards (or as i call it initiation of the circle)...if they then we work on keep support over the supporting arm, then tension (this starts from the beginning but i am a tad relaxed about it in first 1 week). Also during this stage i introduce the keep double support for as long as possible, and fast arm swift.

This drill is brutal on the shoulders buts its great to teach the circle.. its good conditioning without them thinking ohh i am just doing conditioning.

These are some of the drills and conditioning i do with my beginners. There is plenty more though that could be done.

• 2 weeks later...
George Launchbury

Assuming that ag is an abbreviation of agricultural, I think you may have missed the answer?

As for those ag walks, I call them " seal walks or drags ." Find something that will move on carpet and drag it by walking with the hands and the shoulders rounded and the back not sagging. Reverse the movement, by getting into a " table [ back support with belly to the ceiling ] " and walk backwards. Feet are still in the frisbee or whatever you are using to slide.

Does that help?

George.

Edward Smith

No, they aren't. Planche training may help (if someone more experienced could comment on this) but L-sit I doubt it would. Like most people have stated supports (front, side and rear) will help and bucket circles (more of a skill thing).

Coach or anyone with the know how, would circles have much carryover to many other gymnastic strength moves or weights or activities?

• 3 months later...
Guest Valentin

For circles you don't need either a planche or an L-sit. The 2 don't hurt to have, but by no means are they needed.

The planche really comes in handy when you get into flairs.

Circles i don't believe have much carry over training effect. However that being said it depends on your circle. If your circles are extended and straight like Xiao Qin's than i would imagine your body tension, abdominal area, and shoulder extension strength are pretty sweet.

However the circle is a pretty unique in that there ins't really any other exercises/skills that incorporate it (aside from the flairs of course).

I guess the greatest carry over is in oblique training work, but because circles are trained one way dominant i would imagine that the carry over is a bit uneven.

• 6 months later...

Hello!

I have pain in my lower arm, after using pommel horse. Am I too weak for it? Will I have any problems if I continue the training?

By the way, what kind of muscles are important to be good at pommel horsing?

How new are you to Mr. Pommel? It could be forearm splints but that is more typical in working circles on the mushroom as a beginner.

How new are you to Mr. Pommel? It could be forearm splints but that is more typical in working circles on the mushroom as a beginner.

:lol::lol:

For pommel horse, it's important to have general good upper body and core/midline strength besides active flexibility in your straddle and front splits. We actually use many of the same drills the girls use for split leaps like hanging from the bar and holding a front split or snapping to front split.

Coach Sommer

By far the most difficult concept for beginners to understand in gymnastics is that pommel horse is NOT a support event, but rather a hanging event. Momentum of the circles is created from the body "hanging" in between the hands. Increased amplitude of circles is created by 1) more speed 2) more sideways lean or 3) both together; much like circling a small object attached to the end of a string. Attempting to treat circles as a support element and attempting to press and lift will continually backfire and ultimately derail the development of a fluid extended circle.

The following thread will help to explain this concept more thoroughly.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I have begun training on horse some months ago, so "we are new to each other". :D Will this pain be over or I have to live with this painfully thing on every training? :roll: