Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Complex Training-Strength+Plyometrics

gymrob

Hi all,

Has anyone used complex training i.e doing a strength focused movement followed by a plyometric movement for the same muscles? For example planche pushups followed by explosive normal pushups. What have your results been like?

Just a couple of questions regarding this if anyone has experience with using it:

1. I take it this method can only be used on an intensification cycle? And would it be best to limit this to every other intensification since this is very high intensity work and not do it year round?

2. Would it be a good idea to do this in superset format for instance:

A1 Planche pushups+ explosive pushups

A2 Front lever pullups+easy explosive front lever pullups.

Many thanks,

Rob.

Joshua Naterman

I have tried things like this before and honestly I got better results when breaking them into two separate workouts, but on the same day. Doesn't REALLY matter which one you do first, but I'd suggest plyometrics. You want to be at your best when doing them, otherwise your body might learn inferior neural patterns.

You usually want to shoot for one specific training effect per workout, whether it is pure strength, work capacity, endurance, power, etc. Of course these all have some crossover to other areas, but it's important to focus on one per workout. That's part of the advantage of multiple workouts per day, as long as you don't overdo it :P

Having said that, there are probably others with different experiences, but I can tell you for certain that I personally did much, much better with separate workouts for the plyometrics and strength.

Same here, if we are talking about complete workouts that is. However I have had good experiences with just one set of plyos before the strength sets.

Joshua Naterman

Lol, now that is completely different Razz! But you're right, I have started doing senders and lunge thrusts before my SLS and back squats and it works great!