Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is GST right for me? (injury, other activity)

Dan Schreter

Dan Schreter

Hi,

I'm considering starting the program, and trying to understand if it would work for me. A couple of questions I couldn't find answers for, sorry if they're there and I missed them.

1. Injuries. In general - how do I know if the program\specific parts will improve the situation (and should be practiced through pain) or worsen it (and should be avoided). More specifically, I have knee\ankle\foot pains that started about four years ago with an overtraining injury (achilles tendonitis, running), and developed to different pains that come and go (mostly without specific diagnosis). These are at least partially due to an over-pronation tendency of my left foot, which I'm not sure I'll be able to get rid of. I'm also trying to treat this using other means (PT, insoles), but this is another attempt after many that have failed. Should I wait to start GST, to see if this other treatment improves the situation? If I don't, can GST be an alternative way to recover? Should I continue other treatment?

2. I've seen recommendations to stop certain other activities when starting GST. Does this apply to jogging and swimming (I do these in ways that don't affect my injuries)? If it does, what type of cardio activity can be done safely while getting into GST?

Many thanks,

D

As far as injuries are concerned, never train through pain. GST can help prevent future injuries but for present ones, make sure you see a PT first. You will be more tired for other activities but always keep what you love to do in your routine.

Everett Carroll

Try to find a good physio and get a professional opinion on what the limitations of your injury are. We can't diagnose or advise what will or will not benefit/harm you. An in person diagnosis is the way to go.

Swimming and jogging are great to do in conjunction with GST. They are beneficial, in fact.

Dan Schreter

I am working with a PT.

I'm trying to understand what to ask her (regarding my limitations), so as to figure out before buying the course if it will work for me. As I couldn't find information about the contents of the courses before buying them (which is obviously fine), I don't know what to ask... Any suggestions? Thanks.

Everett Carroll

I understand now Dan. The courses are going to work the whole body, including knees, ankles, and hips. My best suggestion is to work through Fundamentals while taking note of things you find difficult and consulting with your PT. Most students are able to work around their limitations and if you find that's not the case then there is a 14 day refund policy. Based on the fact that you are able to jog and swim, I think that as long as you continue to work with your practitioner, things will go fine and you will see great benefits from GST.

• Upvote 1

Mark Collins

I work as a physio and can see no reason why you cannot perform Foundation. As you progress and perform each new exercise you can check on the forum to get advice on how to modify the exercise to accomodate your injuries.

• Upvote 1