Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pistol squats - meniscus tears

Jason Neff

Hello - I know there have been some related forum posts on this issue, but after looking through them I haven't found an answer that really addresses my situation.  I have torn the meniscus in each knee, doing pistol squat progressions in both cases (the tear occurred when down in the squatted position).  I'm not sure if I just pushed the progressions too fast or if my leg/knee shape is just prone to it.  

I have had surgery on each knee - the type where they cut away the torn tissue, not repair (both surgeries are over a year in the past, so I'm completely recovered with no pain, although the left knee seems a bit irritated if I do heavy squat work or when I rock climb).  My question is this...should I even attempt these progressions again or just avoid trying it?  I'm hesitant, partially because both of these injuries occurred doing the progressions.  I'm perplexed as to whether this is really possible for me at this point or if I just risk another tear and more damage.

I'm hoping someone else might have a similar experience and could bring some insight to bear on how/if I should proceed.

Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Alessandro Mainente

I'm sorry to hear about your experience Jason. Actually only who did the surgery in collaboration with a good physio can tell you what you can do and if you can experiment another similar injury.

So please check for them and let us know what they tell you.

• Upvote 3

Hi Jason

I share your pain as I am suffering similar situation as you as I have my left knee meniscus removed (done 6 years ago). My condition has since degenerated in osteoarthritis on the lateral side (rare as most arthritis occur on the internal knee). My left knee joint space has narrowed and flexion is now only 120 deg.

Went for knee debridement ops last month to remove loose spurious bone and doing physio. Was advice by surgeon and physiotherapist that I may need to manage my expectation of regaining normal range of knee flexion squat mobility due to my condition.

I know GB is an excellent program which would I believe will be able to assist in my goal of regaining full squat mobility.

Hope Coach or GB forummers is able to share their success stories and guidance on how Jason and I can proceed accordingly

If you've lost ROM due to osteoarthritis it's just something you have to accept and work with. There will be good days and bad but very little can be done to change the actual ROM as it's more of a mechanical problem, the joint won't allow further movement.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Mikey Cunanan

Hello @Jason Neff! I know exactly where you are coming from because I was feeling the same way.  I have had 3 ACL reconstruction surgeries, each paired with a menisectomy, which means I have had a lot of practice with knee rehabilitation:D 

By far the protocol that has provided the fastest and most successful recovery is: 

-foundations &stretch series (sls I'm 1-6 worked wonders) 

-soft tissue release at the knee joint (this area trends to get plagued by restriction of the fascia and scar tissue)

-a lot of patience. 

Following this I was able to work towards a single leg squat that was of better quality then I have ever been able to achieve.  I hope this helps!

• Upvote 4

• 4 months later...

Hi Mikey - can you please elaborate on your second point,"soft tissue release at knee joint"?  I have osteoarthritis in both knees and struggle with a lot of the GB stretch series due to pain and lack of ROM, and would love to learn more about how you've done tissue work to your knee, i.e. the specific protocol, if done by yourself or by a professional, etc.  Thanks so much!!

Mikey Cunanan
20 hours ago, Dell Mekolon said:

Hi Mikey - can you please elaborate on your second point,"soft tissue release at knee joint"?  I have osteoarthritis in both knees and struggle with a lot of the GB stretch series due to pain and lack of ROM, and would love to learn more about how you've done tissue work to your knee, i.e. the specific protocol, if done by yourself or by a professional, etc.  Thanks so much!!

Hi @Dell Mekolon. The method that I found the most successful with its too place a lacrosse ball under your thigh,  just above the knee. Bend and extend the leg until you feel temporary relief. 

Does that make more sense. 

• Upvote 2

Dell, keep us updated with your soft tissue release and progress.

• Upvote 1

Winter Phoenix

Hi Jason,

Sorry to hear about your knee injuries :( it seems like Mikey has some great knowledge on this topic that many can benefit from so thanks for the share! Interested in hearing how everyone goes with this?

• Upvote 1