Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am I too old to start?

Robyn Vines

I just listened to both Chris Sommer podcasts with Tim Ferriss and have been researching the available information on this program. It's very intriguing and I'm considering doing the program along with my son. Even though I feel good overall, I have slight concerns embarking on a program like this at my age. I am 52, female, 5'3", 120 lbs, and in moderate physical condition. I have stretched every night for most of my life, so I have good flexibility. However, I am beginning to feel tightness and discomfort in some joints at times as well as a little low back discomfort. I know my bones have weakened somewhat and I realize I've lost muscle strength. I am fine pushing my limits, but fear doing damage by pushing too far. Has anyone had success beginning this program at my age? Any advise/recommendations/cautions in doing so?

Hi Robyn,

You are certainly not too old to start :) we have from those in their teens to those in their 70s here, all improving day to day :) Have a look through some similar threads to see people's different experience coming to GST with different chronological and training ages.

While you have a few years experience on me, I seem to remember @Mats Trane is of a similar age to yourself and may have some observations to share.

• Upvote 3

Hi Robyn

I have been doing GST training for 5-6 years now and its the best thing i have ever done. If I was you I would get the Foundations program and start slowly and let your body and mind addapt. Start with 2-3 times a week and I´m sure you will get hooked. You WILL get stronger and more mobile.

• Upvote 4

Judith Newton

Hello Robyn..

I was born in 1964 and just finished Fundamentals (an eye-opener !) and will be starting Foundation One next Monday.. now beginning to befriend the various first-level exercises in preparation :-)

I have been spending a lot of time looking over the forum conversations.. there are very knowledgable coaches who encourage thorough learning and solid mastery as you proceed through the steps in combined strength and mobility.. i'm very enthused about this set of extraordinary programs..

cheers !

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Hi Robyn,

You are certainly not too old to start :) we have from those in their teens to those in their 70s here, all improving day to day :) Have a look through some similar threads to see people's different experience coming to GST with different chronological and training ages.

While you have a few years experience on me, I seem to remember @Mats Trane is of a similar age to yourself and may have some observations to share.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'll look into the other threads as well!

7 hours ago, Mats Trane said:

Hi Robyn

I have been doing GST training for 5-6 years now and its the best thing i have ever done. If I was you I would get the Foundations program and start slowly and let your body and mind addapt. Start with 2-3 times a week and I´m sure you will get hooked. You WILL get stronger and more mobile.

Mats, I love that you said let my body AND MIND adapt...I think this will be a fascinating process. I'll remember to start slow, and I'm sure each bit of improvement in strength and mobility will be encouraging. Following you on Instagram now!

• Upvote 1

Suzanna McGee

@Robyn Vines I am 51 years, 6 feet, 160 lbs… "theoretically", I am "too old", "too tall" and "too heavy"  :-) I started H1 a month ago, I loved it, so I bought and started TB two weeks ago, and now I am about to start Foundation One. It's never too late to work on getting better. It is only late if you never start. Don't let your age and what is generally thought as "old" stop you from being the best you can be. We have another 50+ years to live on this Earth, let's us be gymnasts then  :-)  You go girl, you can do it!!!

• Upvote 7