Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doing Fundamentals for extended periods?

Chris Stringfellow

Chris Stringfellow

Hey all,

I was curious what the thoughts were concerning doing Fundamentals for extended periods. I can't set up much equipment for now/in the near future but I was hoping to get the ball rolling with doing Fundamentals and perhaps increasing their difficulty after each round to better prepare me for getting into Foundations later. 

cheers!

Everett Carroll

That's not a bad idea but keep in mind that Foundations requires minimal equipment to start. You only need floor space, rings, and a light dumbbell. After completing Fundamentals, beginning Foundation 1 would be time better spent. 

Chris Stringfellow

@Everett Carroll thanks for the response. I would like to move to Foundation 1 but I assumed needing rings meant they needed to be set up to hang from? I don't have anywhere I can easily do that right now. My door pullup bar won't fit in the doorways here

Everett Carroll

You will be doing row variations on the rings. Many students set them up in parks on trees or play structures.

If you absolutely can't hang rings right now and don't immediately begin the rope climb progressions, you will still benefit greatly from all of the other movements. 

• Upvote 1

We have a portable pull up bar set up, we use it for pull ups, dips etc, and it has a modification piece that instead of a smooth three sided rectangle shape, you can interchange the top bar for parallel grips. This can be used on a high bar or dropped down for dip level bars. I mention it because it is a great height for mounting rings, and is quite sturdy. It also is easily taken apart and stored under a bed. (Ours is super well made, and supports a lot of weight. Not super cheap though. If you google under trapeze and portable pull up bar freestanding you can find it, and many other variations easily.)

• Upvote 2

Anthony Winyard

Hi Lucy, would it be possible you could post a link to the item you mention or at least state it's name to make it easier to find.

Thanks.

Yes! That is the one, thanks. I wasn't sure if allowed to post product links, so I just gave the description. I think it also comes with an extra height one that may be better for more full extension pull up type work if one is taller, so legs can be fully extended. 

• Upvote 1

Salvatore Maisano

Hi, 

I just finished the fundamentals, and I still struggle (understatement!) with basic movements e.g. cannot touch my toes, especially those involving hamstrings and lower back.

shouldn't I fix this mobility/flexibility issue before going to foundation one, and if yes, should I keep doing fundamentals for extending periods, till i see desired improvements.

thanks for your advice.

sal

Edited by Salvatore Maisano

Alessandro Mainente

I think that now you have more confidence with your limitation, lower limbs restriction for sure. it is the time to move on on F1 GB pro+ and improve your body qualities.

Hi Salvatore,

Great question.  For two to three weeks, I would use the stretch courses.  Then if you feel comfortable, I would also add Foundation 1 which will be half strength and half mobility.  Between the two of these you should find your mobility deficits rapidly improving.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Salvatore Maisano

Thanks Coach..

and, to be sure, when you say "stretch courses" you mean: front splits, thoracic bridge and middle splits, right?

Sal

Anthony Winyard

Would this item work for what is required in the Foundation course?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wall-Mount-Pull-Up-Bar-Playground/dp/B00MGUPPGQ/ref

My weight is around 75kg so nowhere near the 150kg max, but not sure if it is appropriate as it looks a little too child focused.

The link above for the Trapeze Rigging is a lot more expensive plus the shipping costs to the UK. But additionally i just realised that in my house (I live upstairs in a 2 storey house) and in the area at the top of the stairs there is a huge area where i could mount some sort of equipment like this or pull up bars, as shown in these photos:

or would I be maybe better of buying this and mounting it to the wall

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Exercise-Workout-Strength-Training/dp/B003V3LNS6/ref=sr_1_18?s=fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1473937969&sr=1-18&keywords=pull+up+bar+wall+mounted

and some rings to use with it?

2016-09-15 12.46.22.jpg

2016-09-15 12.46.33.jpg

@Anthony Winyard just a word of caution: a wall-mounted pull-up bar (with 500mm depth like the ones you're showing) I don't think will allow for sufficient clearance from the wall to hang your rings to do day basic ring rows. This is why many people who train at home hang their rings from a door frame mounted pull-up bar.

My preference, if you can, Is to go with a ceiling mount set up. 

• Upvote 2

Anthony Winyard

Thanks Everett.

Eva, if the PullUp bar was mounted as shown in this photo

then I would have thought there would be lots of clearance from the wall or is there something I'm not taking into account?

stairs.jpg

Yes, clearly this wall doesn't go to the floor, lol. It should be ok then! However, it's not clear from the picture if you'd have decent floor space under the rings to perform RC/PE1. It seems as the rings may end up hanging at the beginning or middle of stairs. I can't tell. Try to imagine if you could do body rows from there. If so, great.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Salvatore Maisano
On 9/8/2016 at 9:18 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Salvatore,

Great question.  For two to three weeks, I would use the stretch courses.  Then if you feel comfortable, I would also add Foundation 1 which will be half strength and half mobility.  Between the two of these you should find your mobility deficits rapidly improving.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Hi, just bought the stretch package. I see the 3 types of stretch where i can click. is there a plan to drive me along .. i.e. where should i start with. in the fundamentals the lessons where unlocked day by day.. is it going ot be the same here?

thanks

sal

Hi Sal,

The stretch courses are recommended to do once a week. When you log into your account under Dashboard and click on your stretch course, the follow along stretch video will take you through the whole course. You can also view each stretch under the course itself. 

Once a week is recommended however if you'd like to do the course more then that you may. 

Salvatore Maisano
thank you Tanya, clear!
I guess last question is about where to start.
given that I am a stiffed zombie, whats the best progression considering the package includes: middle split, front split and thoracic bridge, any particular order to follow (this is what I was referring to when asking about a plan).
sal
  • Upvote 1