Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pseudo planche push ups and planche lean video

Gregor

Nick Van Bockxmeer

BSxQEtmDjvM

0:20 - maltese on floor. a bit short but somehow I'm sure he could have gone longer.

It's Chen Yibing, he could probably hold that floor maltese 20 seconds if he wanted to :lol: Floor maltese is just rare because it's not so high value © for what you get. Pretty sure anyone with a good rings maltese can do or learn a floor maltese very easily. But yeah on topic the planche and maltese are different movements, one does not need the planche to pursue the maltese and vice versa, though some coaches insist on teaching a rings planche before rings maltese.

It's Chen Yibing, he could probably hold that floor maltese 20 seconds if he wanted to :lol: Floor maltese is just rare because it's not so high value © for what you get. Pretty sure anyone with a good rings maltese can do or learn a floor maltese very easily. But yeah on topic the planche and maltese are different movements, one does not need the planche to pursue the maltese and vice versa, though some coaches insist on teaching a rings planche before rings maltese.

haha interesting to say that. I found it not that easy on the floor :lol: I can do F maltese on the rings and no C maltese on floor (ok I didn't train for it, but still). Why, do you think it's C on a floor? Because F.I.G. want's on a floor acrobatics and less non-acrobatic skills. Look on a p. bars, there is not anymore planche or maltese in code of points.

About coaches insist to train something before...I don't think this is very smart. I can do inverted, normal cross, malteses and learning victorian, but I'm not even close to planche D on the rings of course. I'm closer to victorian rather then on a planche. Ok, I'm not giving up on a planche (this is my goal for this year, along other goals), but where would I be now, if I would went stricly element by element....

Hmm I may be wrong but I would expect you to learn a floor maltese very easily. And yeah what I meant with that you dont get alot out of it compared to the value was the there is no big point doing it for a C when you can do a series of acrobatics and then do a japanese press handstand for a C instead.

About coaches insist to train something before...I don't think this is very smart. I can do inverted, normal cross, malteses and learning victorian, but I'm not even close to planche D on the rings of course. I'm closer to victorian rather then on a planche. Ok, I'm not giving up on a planche (this is my goal for this year, along other goals), but where would I be now, if I would went stricly element by element....

Gregor's statement is quite accurate; especially in regards to the PL on rings. I am at a loss to explain it, but for some reason there are some very strong athletes who simply cannot learn a solid PL on rings.

As Gregor mentioned, if the other ring strength elements are progressing well (levers, support holds, press HS, crosses) while the XR PL continues to show little to no improvement, it is time to begin focusing on the maltese in place of the planche.

Use care however to ensure that both a solid foundation of basic strength and the correct elbow preparation progressions have been achieved or you will be courting an elbow injury by prematurely engaging in maltese training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm feeling rather comfortable holding adv tucked in correct position. Should I advance to straddle or one legged planche? Which would benefit more? Thanks :D

• 1 year later...
Robert Stejskal

You make great videos Slizzardman. Great explanations of what to do (and what not to do).

I'm also around your size. Great to see a "big guy" doing these things.

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

No problem!

Gymmie: You will probably benefit more from extending at least partway out into a straddle.

• 3 months later...

I've been powering away at the pseudo planche pushups and I'm having trouble maintaining good technique doing them on the rings, but I'm stronger on the floor. In "Building the Gymnastic Body" it instructs you to go from PPP on rings to a sort of bottom position free-balance with your upper arms in line with torso and bent arms. I just wondered if it's possible (and has the same benefit) to go from PPP on the floor to a bent arm free-balance similar to the starting position for "Bowers" on the floor, and how much of a leap it would be in intensity? Nice video by the way slizz, I'm a big portion myself, good to see someone else working on it too!

• 2 weeks later...

Strength on floor or parallel bars is quite different than rings. It's not just a matter of hopping on over to the rings.

• 1 month later...
Joshua Naterman
I've been powering away at the pseudo planche pushups and I'm having trouble maintaining good technique doing them on the rings, but I'm stronger on the floor. In "Building the Gymnastic Body" it instructs you to go from PPP on rings to a sort of bottom position free-balance with your upper arms in line with torso and bent arms. I just wondered if it's possible (and has the same benefit) to go from PPP on the floor to a bent arm free-balance similar to the starting position for "Bowers" on the floor, and how much of a leap it would be in intensity? Nice video by the way slizz, I'm a big portion myself, good to see someone else working on it too!

You are talking about PPP plus, where at the bottom you do move into a position that is the same as the bottom of a planche push up. You then put your feet back on the ground and finish the PPP. Can be done on rings or floor, and obviously you want to do these on the floor first. You will probably get the most benefit from practicing the XR PPP until you are strong in them and 1-2x per week practice the PPP plus on the floor.

It is a considerable leap, but if you have your hands about as far back as you can go in a PPP without falling on your face and can do 5-12 controlled reps you should be ready for the PPP plus. The key is that all those PPP reps need to be super solid, no fatigue on the shoulders and no loss of form. Speed should be 2-5s down, 2-5s up. If you're doing 2s up and down you really need about 12 reps. if you're doing 5s each way then 5 is plenty. I will suggest that you practice both, focusing on one way each training session and switching them up each workout.

• 6 months later...
Matus Michalicka

Currently I am doing adv.frog stand. I tested my max yesterday and it was 40 seconds so I am going to start new SSC with 3 x 20 seconds. My question is how to implement planche leans to my workout. I am training every other day something similar to so called Killroy template. I basically do warm up, prerequisite, wall handstand, FSP, FBE. Should I just swap out adv.frog for planche leans every other workout? or add planche leans as another exercises to my FSP circle, or somewhere else?

Matus Michalicka
Currently I am doing adv.frog stand. I tested my max yesterday and it was 40 seconds so I am going to start new SSC with 3 x 20 seconds. My question is how to implement planche leans to my workout. I am training every other day something similar to so called Killroy template. I basically do warm up, prerequisite, wall handstand, FSP, FBE. Should I just swap out adv.frog for planche leans every other workout? or add planche leans as another exercises to my FSP circle, or somewhere else?

bump

Boban Ilievski
My question is how to implement planche leans to my workout.

I'm far from an expert here, but just my opinions:

You can either do the planche leans as a warmup for the adv.frog stand, or do them as a finisher at the end of your whole workout.

• 4 weeks later...
Larry Roseman

I'm considering adding planche lean and PLPU/PPP work into my repertoire in lieu of other horizontal pressing.

Have never experimented with it, and will take it very slow. I watched Josh's video and am just wondering

besides the extra difficulty and extra stress on the elbow, does it work the same muscles as a

regular horizontal plank and pushup but just harder, or does it use other muscles in addition, for example more

stabilzers? Would it perhaps work the forearm a lot more?

My main concern not training it has been that it seems to put a lot of stress on the shoulder, almost that

the ball of the joint can be pressed forwardout of the socket! However most of the complaints people have seem to center around the elbow rather than the shoulder joint...

Joshua Naterman
I'm considering adding planche lean and PLPU/PPP work into my repertoire in lieu of other horizontal pressing.

Have never experimented with it, and will take it very slow. I watched Josh's video and am just wondering

besides the extra difficulty and extra stress on the elbow, does it work the same muscles as a

regular horizontal plank and pushup but just harder, or does it use other muscles in addition, for example more

stabilzers? Would it perhaps work the forearm a lot more?

My main concern not training it has been that it seems to put a lot of stress on the shoulder, almost that

the ball of the joint can be pressed forwardout of the socket! However most of the complaints people have seem to center around the elbow rather than the shoulder joint...

Experience is better than explanations in this respect.

Many muscles are working harder as you lean more, particularly the scapular musculature (which technically includes the biceps since both heads attach to the scapula) and elbow flexors. Triceps will probably work less in the leans than in non-lean planks.

When performed properly, the shoulder is sucked into the socket and not forward. That is part of why the activation of the scapular muscles is extremely important: They determine the orientation of the shoulder socket itself.

Larry Roseman

Tried planche lean and pushups today for the first time, and am impressed. Really not at all unpleasant.

No pressure in the shoulder socket. Hands were down at belly button level.

Any farther down and it would have been a face plant though. :facepalm:

With my arms close to my side it felt pretty stable but moving them outwards made it more difficult.

Is moving them outwards part of the progression as well as farther down?

Will experiment further, thanks!

Karri Kytömaa

It's at least a progression for maltese 8)

I doubt it does much for PL but it might work in strengthening the biceps.

• 8 months later...
Romulo Malta

I think I saw the video some years ago, but where is it now? Is it just a problem with my browser, or the video is not in the thread any more?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Coach Sommer unpinned this topic