Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to Increase Reps With Chin Ups?

1 hour ago, Jin Liu said:

Row was the only pulling work you did to get back the OAC? That's amazing. I guess that client already had the skills and physics for the OAC, and just needed the strength element to kick back in. For ppl w

ho are trying to build up to the OAC, do you think the one arm row would be of any benefit? Or those who are ready to build up to a OAC should really focus more on the more difficult pulling exercises such as assisted OAC, OAC negative, holds, archer, weighted,

1 hour ago, Jin Liu said:

A one arm row will not get you strong enough to do one arm pullups but you could build up to it than do harder variations. Assiassted oap and holds have always been the method I used to get strong enough to do one arm pullups. Weighted pullups would work too. A one arm pullup is generally equivalent to do weighted pullups with .60-.70% of body weight. The world record is a weighted pullup an additional 1.05 bodyweight.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

He had already achieved the oap, with appropriate re-conditioning he achieved again the movement. rows if done slowly and correctly are the mother and the father of all advanced pulling variations. beginner should be in these at least 8-12 months of their beginner preparation.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

He had already achieved the oap, with appropriate re-conditioning he achieved again the movement. rows if done slowly and correctly are the mother and the father of all advanced pulling variations. beginner should be in these at least 8-12 months of their beginner preparation.

Why would you need 8-12 month of preperation ? Rows are basic level. While I can defintly see a one arm pulluo training a year to achieve if you are a complete novice it shold not take any longer than that. When I first started doing bodyweight workouts I started with front lever varation and assiasted OAP varations. Keep in min an OAP is probaly only equivalent to a B skill

Edited by waler white
  • Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

This way of think it is typical of who has no idea of what body needs at the beginning in order to adapt, what a beginner needs , why and who. 

I could share with all of you all the facebook screenshots that i have about people suffering from improper training injury, because all of them come to me when it is too late:

-torn distal bicep tendon

-torn rotator cuff and rotator cuff impingement

-forearm problem and forearm splints

-labral tear

-proximal bicep tendon

-lats tear

-shoulder luxation due to premature oap/oac exposure.

it is not relevant how did you manage your schedule at the beginning, OAC it is not for beginner.

• Upvote 2

James Coppola
8 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

This way of think it is typical of who has no idea of what body needs at the beginning in order to adapt, what a beginner needs , why and who. 

I could share with all of you all the facebook screenshots that i have about people suffering from improper training injury, because all of them come to me when it is too late:

-torn distal bicep tendon

-torn rotator cuff and rotator cuff impingement

-forearm problem and forearm splints

-labral tear

-proximal bicep tendon

-lats tear

-shoulder luxation due to premature oap/oac exposure.

it is not relevant how did you manage your schedule at the beginning, OAC it is not for beginner.

On the topic of injury, I've never been injured (literally not a single injury) since I started exercising which was roughly about 3 years ago (the first 3 months I did weightlifting). Can anyone relate to this? I always hear about people getting injured and with how common it is I was expecting to get injured at some point. Am I lucky? Is it a genetic thing? 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
25 minutes ago, James Coppola said:

On the topic of injury, I've never been injured (literally not a single injury) since I started exercising which was roughly about 3 years ago (the first 3 months I did weightlifting). Can anyone relate to this? I always hear about people getting injured and with how common it is I was expecting to get injured at some point. Am I lucky? Is it a genetic thing? 

You're lucky.

• Upvote 1

James Coppola
Just now, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

You're lucky.

Yeah that's what I thought. Maybe it's also got to do with age, I'm still pretty young. 

On 10/18/2016 at 5:55 PM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

You're lucky.

Any idea the percentage of people who typically get injured ?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, waler white said:

Any idea the percentage of people who typically get injured ?

Nope. But being active greatens the probability of someone incurring an injury or unforeseen mishap. Proper preparation [cough cough] can help improve one's odds, but those odds never completely go away. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Good subject. I have been doing different pull ups/chin ups variations for almost 2 decades and have found that a proper warmup, not pushing yourself too hard in workouts, stretching often, and giving your muscles enough time to heal lowers the chances of getting injured while preforming these exercises.

Alessandro Mainente
On 1/14/2017 at 0:14 PM, Angel Chav said:

Good subject. I have been doing different pull ups/chin ups variations for almost 2 decades and have found that a proper warmup, not pushing yourself too hard in workouts, stretching often, and giving your muscles enough time to heal lowers the chances of getting injured while preforming these exercises.

People often make the mistake of not doing the breakdown of a movement in the single part analyzing what works. and this leads usually to overtraining some specific structures simply because a pullup it is only a pullup, so why so many people get the brachioradialis sindrom with pullup? the weak point of a chain must be the primarily focus in order to maintain solid the chain itself.

• Upvote 3

On 1/14/2017 at 3:14 AM, Angel Chav said:

I think the reason I have never been injured despite doing these movments with lots of weight is I always try to maintain structutal balance. If something is uncomfortable in a bad way dont do it. However going heavy is not always a bad thing. 

Edited by waler white
  • Upvote 1

Hello Waler,

One way of increasing your pull-ups is to cover physical preparation holes, and you can do this through Foundations 1-4.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Luke Searra said:

Hello Waler,

One way of increasing your pull-ups is to cover physical preparation holes, and you can do this through Foundations 1-4.

I am sure its a great course. However I have been working out on and off for the last 10 years and can currently do one arm pullups with an additional 20lbs. 

On 1/17/2017 at 4:11 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

People often make the mistake of not doing the breakdown of a movement in the single part analyzing what works. and this leads usually to overtraining some specific structures simply because a pullup it is only a pullup, so why so many people get the brachioradialis sindrom with pullup? the weak point of a chain must be the primarily focus in order to maintain solid the chain itself.

I agree with you that a pullup is much more than just a pullup.One must also work on upper body flexibility in order to be more safe from the potential injuries that can arise from pullups.

On 1/17/2017 at 4:26 AM, waler white said:

I think the reason I have never been injured despite doing these movments with lots of weight is I always try to maintain structutal balance. If something is uncomfortable in a bad way dont do it. However going heavy is not always a bad thing. 

I agree with you that going heavy can be a good thing,but proper care must be taken,especially if you are over 200 pounds and doing weighted pullups.

On 1/18/2017 at 5:06 PM, Angel Chav said:

I agree with you that going heavy can be a good thing,but proper care must be taken,especially if you are over 200 pounds and doing weighted pullups.

With my 150lb frame, I do wide dips with my new PR an additional 200lbs. I don't really do much of a warm up and while I do mobility work, it is seriously lacking compared to many guys on these forms. My main injury prevention is merely maintain structural balance and I have never been injured in my life.  My point being while preparation is important but don't get too caught up in it. Its okay to add weight even if its very hard at first. 

Edited by waler white

17 hours ago, waler white said:

With my 150lb frame, I do wide daips with my new PR an additional 200lbs. I dont really do much of a warm up and while I do mobility work, it is seriously lacking compared to many guys on these forms. My main injury prevention is merly maintaing structural balance and I have never been injured in my life.  My point being while preperation is inportant dont get too caught up in it. Its okay to add weight even if its very hard at first. 

What does daips mean, do you mean weighted dips? I am new to the forum and learning the abbreviations often used in this forum. I have done weighted chin ups all the way up with a 120 pound dumbbell at 215-225 pounds bodyweight(335-345 pounds total weight) when I was younger, but I am focusing more on improving myself in calisthenics at this moment.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
2 hours ago, Angel Chav said:

What does daips mean, do you mean weighted dips? I am new to the forum and learning the abbreviations often used in this forum. I have done weighted chin ups all the way up with a 120 pound dumbbell at 215-225 pounds bodyweight(335-345 pounds total weight) when I was younger, but I am focusing more on improving myself in calisthenics at this moment.

Ummm, wouldn't chinups count as calisthenics?....

3 hours ago, Angel Chav said:

I meant weighted dips, improving calisthenics is smart. What do you do for workouts ? 

• Upvote 1

I don't get why adding (heavy) weight is so important or even "the goal" to most guys. I don't see it as a "problem" as long as one is still capable to execute proper form, but I'm certain it won't help improving ones form if it has flaws. 
Everybody I've seen doing pull ups at the gym was adding more n more weight plates to it. Jerking through the motions, squeezing out single or double reps. On the other hand most couldn't do 3sets of 15 decent dead hang pull ups w/o additional weight...
Nothing wrong with adding maybe 10kg or so to help you get on that next step, but I think If pull ups start getting "too easy" so you need to add heavy weight, you should also be able to do do more advanced exercises like front lever pull ups or one arm pull ups etc. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, waler white said:

I meant weighted dips, improving calisthenics is smart. What do you do for workouts ? 

You are very strong to do dips with 200 pounds,how long did it take for you to build up for it?My workouts vary depending on what my fitness goals are at the moment.Right now I am focusing more on powerlifting,long distance running, flexibility, and calisthenics.Today I focused on my core and did superman pushups.This Saturday or Sunday I am doing a 12.1 mile run with my girlfriend.I hope to get back into the shape I was in my mid 20's and hope to beat my old calisthenics records.

Everett Carroll
On 1/17/2017 at 9:22 PM, waler white said:

However I have been working out on and off for the last 10 years and can currently do one arm pullups with an additional 20lbs. 

That doesn't mean you should discount the benefits of refining basic strength exercises or improving your mobility, both of which are covered extensively in Foundations.

• Upvote 3

Everett Carroll
12 hours ago, Bas Albinus said:

I don't get why adding (heavy) weight is so important or even "the goal" to most guys. I don't see it as a "problem" as long as one is still capable to execute proper form, but I'm certain it won't help improving ones form if it has flaws. 

Well said Bas. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

That doesn't mean you should discount the benefits of refining basic strength exercises or improving your mobility, both of which are covered extensively in Foundations.

I can do all of the end moves in foundation besides manna. Foundation would hold me back unless I just did the mobility aspect of it. Beyond that I a 21 year old armed security guard going to college full time. After I get my degree and am making money I would probaly get foudation for the sake of injury prevention when I get to even higher level in these movments. (I know world class level for weighted one arm pullups Is NOT much heavier) As for now At most wouldnt I get the stretching and mobility series.