Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need help with the Back Lever

Giuseppe Salvaggio

Giuseppe Salvaggio

Hi Guys I'm new here on GB. I love Calisthenics and Parkour and I've been doing them for 1 year as a self taught. My progresses has been really slow for me.. But now I can do skills such as Human Flag,Muscle Up and etc... This summer I began training the "big" 2 levers such as Front Lever and Back Lever. I started with the Back Lever and till now it is 2 months I train for it but still no results... I can do progressions like One Leg BL,Adv. Tuck and etc... But I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It is a strength issue? Or simply technique (Maybe Scapula Protaction) The first month I associate with the BL a strength training: Dips on rings with 15/20 kg and skin the cats for the shoulder strength (I can also do some hspu at the wall). L sit and Leg raises at the bar for the core. And reverse hip raise for the lower back. This workout did work but I still have issues to hold both my legs extended... I made this video after my workout so I was a little bit tired but anyway I know my straddle pretty sucks but I've been training for all the time the One Leg BL and as you can see it is really difficult for meto keep both my legs extended even if I descend slowly I can't keep it.. I try my best to round by back and keep the scapula protacted but it looks more like an "L" shape full Back Lever..... Any help or suggestions? Thank you for the attention guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5QzYnzachw

Luke Searra

Hi Guiseppe, I recommend that you buy the Foundations 1 course. Your deficit is likely a combination of strength and strength mobility which will be pin pointed and corrected with consistent and methodical Foundations 1 use for sure.

• Upvote 1

Giuseppe Salvaggio
37 minutes ago, Luke Searra said:

Thank you Luke for the reply but I can't afford it right now... I wrote in this site for help because it's getting really frustrating... As I said I'm unable to keep a full BL

Leo Trinidad
2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Salvaggio said:

Thank you Luke for the reply but I can't afford it right now... I wrote in this site for help because it's getting really frustrating... As I said I'm unable to keep a full BL

i suggest that you save up for it @Giuseppe Salvaggio:) the benefits of the Foundation Courses I cannot fully express in writing. you'll save up a lot of time by going through the proper progressions.

• Upvote 2

If you go after the back lever hard, there is a big chance you'll injure yourself!

Elbow problems/bicep tears are a real possibility.

This forum has a wealth of excellent advice, based upon proper gymnastic strength training. There are no quick recipes for success.

You can't do a back lever because you are not properly prepared. That means, you do not have the right strength and mobility in specific areas of your anatomy. Even if you were muscularly strong enough your joints and conncetive tissues won't be prepared and something will get damaged.

What the others are saying when they recommend you buying F1 is learn how to train properly.

For example, weighted dips will have no specific carry over for BL. One is a bent arm pressing strength the other is a straight arm pullling strength.

I don't mean to sound rude but once you know how to train properly you will understand the quality of our answer.

• Upvote 10

Coach Sommer

Hi Giuseppe,

Here at GB, beginners are not recommended to train back levers due to the higher incidence of injury due to poor shoulder extension mobility and tight biceps.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

Giuseppe Salvaggio
10 hours ago, Wesley Tan said:

Ok first of all thank you so much everyone for the replies. And as you guys said I surely lack of strength and my training routine isn't good that's why I can't still hold a full BL. But if you watched the video you can see I can do some skin the cats without problems and hold the german hang for some seconds so I don't think I lack of mobility on my shoulder in fact I don't have any annoying feeling on my shoulders or biceps. I should fix my training structure and try to do the progressions in a right way so clean the form... That's why I wrote here I know it may sounds weird but I expected someone told me how to correct the mistakes or make me realize what the mistakes are in the video and what I can do. No doubt your replies are good and I really appreciate it :) But as I said I can't afford it.. But I do want to train properly for it even if I'm self taught that's why I talk with you guys. You guys are the experts and I want to learn from you

• Upvote 1

Giuseppe,

That beauty of the GymnasticBodies program is Coach Sommer targets all the tiny stabilizer muscles. With the Foundation courses you can definitely find what specific and mobility you are lacking strength on your back lever. I understand budget can be the only thing holding you back from the course. I recommend you save up friend. You'd be surprised at how much a solid GB Foundations will carry over to other sports and activities. Gymnastic skills don't come easy they take lots of time and refinement. 

Take care. 

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

Guiseppe, in your video you have your hands facing the wrong direction. Very common error in BL.

Palms should face behind you, thumbs on the outside. This puts a lot more pressure on the elbows, brachialis and biceps! Be careful when you try as you have not done it like this before and the elbows need planty of time to prepare, biceps tendon rupture is a serious risk of injury that we have seen.

You need to build your false grip strength also and straight arm strength into flexion flexion from extension.