Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Before I buy - questions about equipment, discounts etc.

Ossi Karppinen

Ossi Karppinen

To give you some background information:

I am 21 yo judoka of 10 years, not competitive but rather striving for perfect judo and body control, with normal health and general judo-given body control that lets me pick up any sport on moderate level by watching the real deal. For example I can adopt table tennis, golf and football by copying the other players on the fly. I can do 10+ behind the neck wide grip pull ups and shaky one leg squats. The thing is I'm not too flexible by nature and have been searching for ways to fix that. I came across this site on a random thread about calisthenics when someone said that is just gymnastics with poor technique. I'm impressed by the quality and credibility of the material as well as the good support on this forum. Not to mention this sounds superior in every way to other possibilities. Yoga was never an option as I have no desire to get acquainted with its religion. 

I'm moving out and starting my studies this month. I have the complex's gym free for use and I planned to do basic strength and mobility exercises every morning leaving the evenings to studies and judo/jog and other interests.

I have some questions:

Do the courses of GB fit for daily (or 5 times a week) use? 

How does upgrading work? If I buy Fundamentals + F1 w/pro+ package and later upgrade to full Foundation do I get a $195 (the cost of F1 w/pro+) discount to the already discounted bundle price of $395? I don't think Fundamentals is really invaluable for me but if I can save $80 of the $99 and still get fully discounted later on I don't mind doing it.

At what point down the F1-F4 exactly do I need actual gymnastics equipment like parallel bars or a climbing rope? As a Finland based student some $500-600 + 24% VAT is already a huge stretch even spread over four years. If I have to pay $150 extra a year just to have access to a gymnastics gym away from my apartment even F1 isn't worth my time. It won't fit my budget nor my schedule. Sure I get it, GB is a gateway to gymnastics and you're supposed to move onto equipment at some point but I don't want to pay for the local gymnastics gyms for lessons and stuff if I only need the space.

What happens when I'm done with the courses I want to do? I have trust in your Behavior based progressing system but how are reviews done? As a language enthusiast I know the true power to control comes through careful reviewing of the known. Is there a way to truly backtrack your progress if I for example don't do anything for two years and later want to get back to my former form?

Thank you for your time! I wish I can find a good product and a hobby through this place. You've got a neat site and some real authority to back it up.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

I can't speak about discounts, etc. but the equipment needs have been discussed at length elsewhere, and are not onerous.  Always good to use search feature prior to posting new topics, as most things get asked over and over again.  Here is one link easily found by typing "equipment" into the search box at the top of the page.  Good luck with your training!:  

• Upvote 3

IMO, just jump in an buy the Foundations.  I come from a martial arts background myself (I fought full contact competitively briefly) and began looking at the GB program to fix some holes in my game and physical preparation.  If you follow the guidelines for mastery, you will get a lot of mileage out of the Foundations program.  A set of rings you can hang up somewhere for your rowing exercises is really the bare minimum equipment you need for awhile, although stall bars, or some way to mimic stall bars and a back strap are huge additions.

I have invested in the Foundations, Stretch and Thrive program and continue to benefit immensely from all.  One of the best investments in training I have ever made.

• Upvote 2

Luke Searra

Tanya thank you as always, for your speed and professionalism.

Luke Searra

Hi Ashe, I have also used the Handstand wrist preparation for professional UFC fighters with great success.

• Upvote 1

Ossi Karppinen

I'm amazed. I went to sauna and everything has been taken care of by the time I come back. Some top notch service right here.

Thank you for all your answers and thanks Douglas Wadle for linking that thread. The threads I came by discussed only F1. I had skipped that one since it mentioned just F1 in the title. You see, when I start doing something I really go for it and knowing if a rope is needed enter the F2 is crucial. Turns out it had good information on the other ones as well including tips for substitute equipment. If rope doesn't play a role until F4 I can safely assume I can save the gym fees for at least two years.

Can't wait to start!

• Upvote 1