Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pbars vs Floor for Manna

Sol Hermelin

Sol Hermelin

Hey everyone,

I was at open gym the other week and asked the coach to take a look at my manna. I always worked my manna on the floor, as that's what I've always seen on gymnasticbodies, but the coach actually told me I should be training the manna on pbars. He told me it's actually easier on pbars. However, when I went to try it on the pbars, I could barely lift my hips to a v-sit position (feet pointing to the ceiling) whereas on the floor I'm entering my last stretch to achieving the manna. The coach summed it up to me actually "cheating" the manna on the ground my leaning back and compensating with the forearm strength I've amassed from ring training.

So my question is, how does our wonderful Coach here at gymnasticbodies approach this? Is the manna on pbars harder or easier than the manna on floor? Which should I be working?

P.S. I'll try to get a good picture of my manna on the floor to post.

Sol Hermelin

Here's the pictures. First picture is where I can hold it for about 6-10 seconds, middle picture is the highest point I can press to but can only hold for a few seconds before falling backwards. Last picture is why I practice my mannas with a couch behind me :'D

Also just my personal form notes. I notice I always forget to focus on compressing and straightening my legs. Also need to work massively on my toe point, this is me toe pointing as hard as possible.

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

• Upvote 6

Coach Sommer

The manna is actually harder on the parallel bars than on the floor.  

For your coach to make such a comment immediately illustrates to me that he has never trained a proper manna.

Your manna is coming along nicely, although not yet at horizontal.  Now it is time for you to focus on pressing the shoulders strongly forward, externally rotating the shoulders and retracting the scapula.

And get those knees straight!!!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 12

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Jesse Kim said:

How come it's more difficult on the pbars vs the floor? Does it have anything to do with the grip?

Difficult to achieve sufficient external shoulder rotation and scapular retraction with a parallel grip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Coach Sommer said:

Difficult to achieve sufficient external shoulder rotation and scapular retraction with a parallel grip.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Again, I just learned something new today. This never came across my mind. Thank you for replying! :)

9 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

What about manna with hands forward on floor compared to p-bars? I would imagine that would be even harder to get external rotation.