Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

balance difficulties

Jared Birbeck

Jared Birbeck

I have been having some problems with my handstand, particularly when i kick up into it. what I feel and what is happening is different. I think I am straight but I am getting an arch and my feet are going way overhead, and I am closing my shoulders. It's a bit frustrating as when I feel like I open my shoulders I over balance, when I tighten my core I under balance. the standard position I get into is an under balance and I am not sure how to correct it.

when I kick up I arch. this is me Back to wall where I have kicked up into it. when I arch I can feel me needing to actively press the fingers into the ground when I straighten up to more vertical towards the end I feel like I am under balancing and come down. I struggle to correct an under balance.

When I am face to wall it looks like I close my shoulders and pike at the hips. I think it happens when I actively think about PPT. This me Face to wall thoughts on how to correct it?

David McManamon

Your videos look great.  Just keep working the basics, particularly shoulder mobility, especially shoulder flexion and core strength.  When you are chest to the wall to stack directly hands over shoulders your hands could come away from the wall a little and you could then take your hips & chest off too.  Back to the wall I can't see exactly the position of your legs and pelvis due to the loose fitting pants but working the 3 head positions including chin to chest will likely improve the line slightly.  Keep it up, the progress will happen.

Everett Carroll

Like David said, keep working shoulder flexion and PPT. If you have H1, I'd recommend a form check of some of the body line drills that are prerequisites for wall HS. 

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Handstand one gives some special exercises in order to make the transition easier, you should consider to buy the course. Also during actual hs specialty seminar Coach Sommer is sharing many different rebalancing exercises.

• Upvote 1

Douglas Wadle

I would just like to put out there that it would be nice to have a handstand seminar that didn't require a general seminar as a prerequisite.  

Jared Birbeck

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take another vid without the baggy pants but good to know I at least have the top half ok. H1 could be a good route. I'll keep working the kick up and add some more PPT work.

My shoulder flexion is pretty good but will work it some more.

7 hours ago, Douglas Wadle said:

I would just like to put out there that it would be nice to have a handstand seminar that didn't require a general seminar as a prerequisite.  

pretty sure the general includes handstand. I really want to go this year (had the credit card ready yesterday as an impulse) but its in Sydney and on a weekend, its harder for me to give up family time than it is to take a day off work especially if I need to do a 6am flight in. All about priorities. Still tossing up. Would happily travel for a mini follow up session on the Monday though if coaches want to hang around ;) could also do a one day I think but 2 day, while exciting, is too much time away from the family in family time...Family first on weekends for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Coach Sommer
On July 31, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Douglas Wadle said:

Hi Douglas,

And in response to your request for a handstand seminar which does not have a Level 1 seminar as a prerequisite - absolutely not!

How in the world could there be an efficient and effective workshop on technical handstands with a group of students who do not even understand the basics of how their body works (PPT, protraction, retraction, elevation, flexion, extension etc etc etc) or even how to engage their core?

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Austin Sowers

I'm having keeping my knees on my elbows in the frog stand, they always slide down.The strength is there, but I'm 6'1 210 pounds.

Does anyone have advice on how overcome this issue?