Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Hell of a Workout

Edward Smith

Edward Smith

Well I've posted this over at DragonDoor but I thought I'd post it here as well. I went up to Mildura (six hour drive) over a week ago on friday. about half-way between Melbourne and Mildura is a town called 'Wycheproof' we stopped there for lunch at a little park. Just outside of the park was a statue of a man carrying sack of wheat across his shoulders, the statue is dedicated (it's not really a memorial or anything) to a race called 'king of the mountain' (the mountain is the smallest in the world) in which contestants both male and female ran a 1km course up the mountain carrying a sack, for males a sack of wheat (weighing over 60kg) and for women a sack of foam (I'm unaware of the weight of this sack) they are allowed to carry the sack anyway they want.

My father was telling me on the way up to Mildura how all the bodybuilder types would come from the city to compete and it would always be a famer or a jackaroo who would win it. Now that's what I call one hell of a workout. And as a side note a bit of proof that form always follows function (there was information, with pictures from the event showing the muscular little farmers).

Ed

Scott Malin

Neat post and event. I think I may have found a new way to make hiking interesting! :)