Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bicep Stretches

Alexander Castiglione

Alexander Castiglione

Hey GB, 

Wanted to see if any of you knew some good stretches for the biceps? I tweaked mine about 5 weeks ago sparring or rock climbing (one of the two).

Dialed it back, took some time off, and now its "better" but when I do metcon workouts with high pullup volume where i need to kip (I know, BLASPHEMY!) I can feel the tension. It's not pain, but just tension, and gets better if i stretch it a bit mid workout. 

I've been doing shoulder extensions with hands touching or within 1 inch of each other, and some german hangs at slightly wider than shoulder width.

It seems to be in my brachioradials or biceps brachii, maybe brachials - and I'm trying to avoid another run in with tendinitis (had/have it in my left forearm). 

Does anybody have any good stretches or exercises to remedy? Thanks! 

Edited by Alexander Castiglione

Mikkel Ravn

If you're irritating the tissue with an exercise that is currently too intense for you, stretching is symptom treatment at best, or exacerbating the injury in the worst case. 

First priority is to stop the activities that cause aggravation, or, alternatively, dial the intensity way down.

Kipping pullups is an advanced, plyometric exercise that is not suitable unless you're at a relatively advanced level. 

• Upvote 1

Alexander Castiglione
3 minutes ago, Mikkel Ravn said:

If you're irritating the tissue with an exercise that is currently too intense for you, stretching is symptom treatment at best, or exacerbating the injury in the worst case. 

First priority is to stop the activities that cause aggravation, or, alternatively, dial the intensity way down.

Kipping pullups is an advanced, plyometric exercise that is not suitable unless you're at a relatively advanced level. 

Thanks. What's you're rubric for advanced level? My bent arm strength is relatively far along, my straight arm needs work admittedly. I can do strict false grip l sit pull ups and muscle ups with a pretty good level of proficiency, even leg less rope climbs. 

Mikkel Ravn

Difficult to say, but if kipping pullups aggravate your biceps, it should be clear that they are not beneficial for you at your current stage.

Personally, I would choose a less strength oriented exercise for metcon.

Coach Sommer

Hi Alexander,

I agree that kipping pullups of any volume should be 'off the menu' until the biceps has fully recovered.  Otherwise in terms of fully recoverying, at best you are going to constantly find yourself in a situation of two steps forward and one step back.  At worst, you may find yourself developing a serious case of tendonitis.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Alexander Castiglione

Great thanks everyone! Always can count on the forum to check me and give solid advice. Will back off for at least a couple weeks. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Alexander Castiglione

Pleased to say I back off completely, am still giving it room, but feel 1000 times better. Thanks you guys for telling me to stop being a dummy and back off. 

• Upvote 2