Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder development off rings

Matthew Bradshaw

Matthew Bradshaw

Hi guys. I've been using rings for hypertrophy gains. My question is what sort of stuff really put some mass on your shoulders?

Everett Carroll

I don't recommend rings training for any reason, including hypertrophy, until the foundations series has been completed.

I read your prior questions regarding delt hypertrophy and this may not be the answer you're looking for but here are my thoughts: GST does build mass but what I appreciate more about it is improving quality of movement, building incredible strength, increasing work capacity, building a complete physical structure, and staying injury free.

Training the GB courses may be a slower way to put on mass, but your connective tissue will be healthier and you will become far stronger down that road than if you were to focus solely on muscular size.

• Upvote 7

Mikkel Ravn

Listen to Everett.

The drills that will really put on mass are some of the higher level ring strength positions like iron cross, planche, maltese etc. 

HOWEVER, since you are with a 99% likelihood also totally unprepared for those elements, they will likely also cause catastrophic failure in your elbows and shoulders, if you attempt to do them, so PLEASE don't do it. Yes, these failures may be caused the very first time you try to enter one of those positions.

We're talking (almost) irreversible injuries like snapped tendons etc., that will take years of rehabbing just to make you a normally functioning human being again.

• Upvote 3

Jon Douglas

The guys have given solid advice above, i won't repeat it. In the spirit the question was asked;

I've had the hypertrophy of my shoulders favorably complimented a number of times, the pretty well comprehensive ranges of motion and articulations we use develop small muscles all around the shoulders and back that look quite different to those achieved via weightlifting. Handstand work and drills, for example the weighted dislocates discussed in an open thread here which develop the medial deltoids very well as the weights increase. 

• Upvote 5

Oussama KHELLADI

for mass theres not better than weight lifting if you want better result build a solid foundation then go for weight lifting 

• 1 month later...