Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Post workout meal

aoa

Joshua Naterman

Butter is fine, it's milk fat. I know, the dairy allergen issues, but outside of that butter is preferable to every artificial spread on the market. People didn't have these cardiovascular conditions until margarine and processed carbs made it to the dinner table and were the new recommended diet of the government in the 50's. Seriously, if you look at old medical records heart disease was very rare until the last 6 decades.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blairbob

• Razz

• Joshua Naterman

• aoa

but outside of that butter is preferable to every artificial spread on the market.

This I believe...One taste of those other artificial spreads and you just know "something's not right".

hmm, how do I measure it with reliability?

have a professional measure you with skin fold, dexa or hydrostatic weighing...

you really don't need to have it done often... healthy weight loss is usually ~1% BW/week... the error for the test could be 2-3%...

its important to remember your goal... is it to be a certain percent body fat? or is it to look a certain way? one is measured with by a professional and one can be measured with a mirror...

i'm curious to what everyone thinks about eggs, oats, peanut butter and soy...

Soy can kiss my butt, besides it tastes just like it. And soy in the west is a heavily chemically treated manufactured product.

I've heard legumes are not as good as "true" nuts.

Oats, no idea. I used to like to chew on them into they were a mush in my mouth. Cheap filler and fiber I figured but I haven't chewed oats in 1/2 a decade really. Every once in awhile if I'm really hungry but I used to go through the big tall spherical containers at the store bi-weekly or monthly.

Eggs. Num, num. Food cholesterol does become blood cholesterol. A lot of fat though so I'm somewhat concerned about heart health, but I don't care as I'm young and not really too concerned with living till the age it's not worth living.

egg whites are pure protein with no bad stuff

nuts are good fats for what ive heard

and soy can have bad hormonal effects on men (even develops feminine attributes on children who eat too much of it)

griffdrc,

my goal is to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. my tanita says that im 15% fat, but i was 12% fat 2 years ago and my belly was much bigger, so I think the scale is broken...

Id like the same bodyfat composition of professional gymnasts, dunno what that is (under 10pct?) but i dont wanna starve myself and risk losing muscle mass, cause i need it to hold my planches in the future :)

Soy in the east, typically fermented soy foods seem ok. They taste like goo, but hey go for it, if ya like it. Soy in the west doesn't seem beneficial as all, unless you are trying to replicate being on the pill. I don't want to dig it up now but if you ate soy protein every day, it could easily simulate being on the pill.

Egg yolks have quite a bit of the fat and taste a lot better than the whites and hold a bit more nutrition in them.

even whey protein has its critics... there is being research done investigating an isomer of whey folding in a protic solvent and having detrimental effects on the body...

i think nutrition can be terribly depressing... i keep hearing is how bad things are to eat... by the time i get to the grocery store i'm afraid to buy food because its going to kill me... it ridiculous...

EVERYTHING has its critics. At some point you will have to make a decision about who to ignore and who to listen to. This decision will have to factor in your personal experiences.

another quick question: is it realiable to measure fat percentage using this scale??: http://www.wholesalepoint.com/pc-Tanita ... BC554.html

no... tanita is the worst form of bia

hmm, how do I measure it with reliability?

The best is hydrostatic, but I found the formula on this site:

http://www.davedraper.com/bodyfat-calculation.html

To correlate exactly with hydrostatic weighing, if you take your waist measurement just a bit tighter than usual.

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with what Ido was saying about dairy.

My opinions of the following:

Eggs: Normally cool, cheap to get, should be cooked thoroughly and not eaten soupy or raw (especially if one is trying to lose weight) Get free range, grassfed, omega 3 enriched eggs if you can.

Oats: Try eating raw steel cut oats and tell me you like em. The other stuff in the store is HIGHLY processed.

Peanuts: too many people are allergic to the oil and allergies can develop chaotically... I say no to peanuts and yes to macadamia nuts/walnuts/etc.

Soy: sucks. what Robb Wolf has referred to as "3rd world protein". There is a lack of amino acids and therefore it's not worth the cardboard taste in your mouth. I have also heard debates on estrogen... whatever. Either way, eat meat.

At least I think staying off dairy helped my unclean skin.. can't really comment on the performance aspect since i'm rehabbing so my strength comes back fast anyways.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.