Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which is harder, 1-arm push up or planche push-up?

Longshanks

Although I'm still very novice I'm curious what people think to this question. If you fancied being able to do both which would be the safer path to follow? Planche first then 1-arm work once a comfortable planche is attained? Or are they just completely different exercises that have to be trained indepentantly? Anyone on the forum who can do both? Is there good crossover? I realise 1-arm pu's must activate different core muscles and much less lower back activation.

I used to be able to do 30+ one arm pushups and still only a few seconds of straddle planche... dont wanna think about planche pushups.. they are two different elements but planche pushups are 100x harder

Cool, I'll stick to my planche stuff then and try the 1-arm stuff out of curiosity in a years time.

Richard Duelley

I do planche pushups in a tuck. If I recall correctly I believe Coach said that once you start extending back out of your adv tuck planche that tuck/adv tuck planche pushups are a great addition to your strength conditioning and will help a lot in your quest for a full straddle planche. I can do multiple one arm pushups on each arm but my straddle planche is still coming along slowly. For one armers I basically started buy elevating my hands on my dining room table, then I moved to the arm of the couch then the coffee table and then a few text books and kept stepping it down until I was on the floor. I used GTG for about a month or 2 before I did my first on the floor. Now I just do a few every once and a while just to keep the skill.

If you use modified planche pushups together with your planche training I'm pretty sure you should become able to do one armers before you reach 5 adv tuck pl pushups, maybe even before 5 tuck pl pushups.

Once you can do a couple tuck planche pushups you should be able to do a one arm pushup.

Adv. tuck/straddle/full planche pushups are all harder than tuck planche pushups. How's that for miles of difficulty harder...

Brill feedback cheers guys. Just out of interest has anyone ever tried doing 1-arm push-ups on rings just off the floor, just to make em that much more sadistic.... lol

Does the same apply to front lever pull-ups and 1-arm pull-ups? How do they grade against each other?

I can't perform them, but I think that front lever pull-ups are as difficult as planche pushups. One handed pullups should be more difficult.

Richard Duelley
Brill feedback cheers guys. Just out of interest has anyone ever tried doing 1-arm push-ups on rings just off the floor, just to make em that much more sadistic.... lol

If one arm pushups are easy for 3 sets of 5 reps on each arm then go ahead and give them a try on the rings. I think it would be the same kind of deal as with regular pushups on the rings, the instability will lead to greater strength gains! :twisted:

I did a one arm pushup on the ring(s), not that big a deal but it is certainly much harder. Nothing that I think is valuable in carryover to other gymnastics moves though just for fun.

A lot of people claim 1-arm pushups but a really strict oapu is very hard - that's straight body, no twisting, no leaning, and hand under the solar plexus, all triceps and core. Any reasonably athletic person should be able to do several "rocky-style" oapus, with varying degrees of non-strictness. Having said that even a strict oapu is not as hard as a ppu.

Yea I completely agree. I used to believe I could do a 1apu but then I read Pavels book on technique and realised you have to keep your hand at a much lower position (below the pecs). I used to do em with my hand level with my shoulder. Its like the difference between a normal push-up and a pseudo planche push up.... Except doubled because its on one arm.

One arm pushups aren't that hard. On rings, that sounds pretty interesting.

Progress toward planche pushups and play with 1 arm negatives or holds in your free time.

Now 1 arm, 1 leg pushups are pretty tricky.