Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trapezius injury from assisted victorian

Peter Iordanov

Peter Iordanov

I was working on front levers lately and got confident so I took my parallettes and attempted an assisted victorian cross. I lifted my body just a bit (parallettes are barely 10 inches high) and couldn't do it. On the next morning I was having back pain on my right side while inhaling, also when bending down to touch my toes with my hands. It has been almost a week now and the pain is still there. How can I get rid of it ?

Everett Carroll

Hi Peter,

I strongly recommend seeing a doctor and possibly getting imaging. Even if I were I doctor, I would hesitate to diagnose you on the forums. That said, it could be a number of things, and again, I am not a doctor, but it sounds like you may have damaged rib cartilage. If this is the case, lots of rest will be the only fix. For now, simply avoid hurting it more and try to see a doctor.

Peter Iordanov

@Everett Carroll I've bad experience with doctors and injuries. Last time I got bicep tendonitis the doc thought I had torn it and told me to rest ( I did so for months) only for the pain to come back a few months after I started training again. Good thing I found an e-book and fixed it myself. This is why I'm asking in the forums instead of actually going to a doctor. I read some stuff on torn rib cartilage and it is described as very painful but my injury only bothers me when I exert myself, normal daily activities don't bother it.

Edited by Peter Iordanov

Alessandro Mainente

Sorry Peter but have you ever though that you actual training method it is inappropriate for current capability?

First tendonitis then probably a ribs muscles (if you have pain during breathing process) but it could be also trapezius.

Before all you need to stop with painful skills, then stop with your current training schedule. you are clearly not ready for it. your body is telling you that you are not ready for it.

• Upvote 4

Peter Iordanov

@Alessandro Mainente The tendonitis occurred more than 2 years ago, I've changed my schedule since then. This injury came out of stupidity - I was watching videos one night and decided to give it a go without warm-up or stretching whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Alex is correct. You should change the way you are training to prevent these injuries from ever occurring. I don't have any specific suggestions for your current injury because I can't diagnose it. It is safe to say that you should rest and avoid irritating the injury. Strongly consider restructuring your training methods and plan to adjust for your current abilities to avoid future injury.

• Upvote 4

Mark Collins

Most injuries are caused by too much load for the tissue. This is either too much in very short time or lots of excessive loading over a long time.  Have you considered Foundation as your training program?

I ask this as it is easy for me to say you have damaged your rib and give you exercises for it. But would that help prevent you from doing it again. You do not need a quick fix you need a paradigm shift in your training methodology. And is there any better than Coach's material? Not that I have seen in 30 years of training and 20 years of being a physiotherapist.

• Upvote 6

Petra Dvorak

It might also be a blocked rib joint, i would visit a manual therapist, chiropractor or ostheopath

Peter Iordanov

@Mark Collins I have the Foundation books. I did every single front lever progression in it. It became easy so I took things in my own hands. This injury .. I don't know what came over me to try something like that with no warm-up or anything late at night. I usually don't do stupid things like that. And yes, I do need a quick fix. This isn't about training, I can quit it all together, it's about everyday life. I have trouble even getting my shoes on with this pulling sensation I feel next to my spine. I'm going to a doc tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar injury and could help me out because most doctors aren't up to speed (at least around here) with bodyweight strength training injuries.

Luke Searra

When training Mark, sometimes we do stupid things and these lesson are the hardest to learn, I know I've learn't them myself. This is definitely one of them. Learn from this lesson - and be a little more patient after your recovery. Don't rush int your training and try to make up for lost time by picking up where you left off. After injury, be recover patiently. To second Peter I would also recommend you go see a manual therapist, chiropractor or osteopath.

What level roughly along your spine are you experiencing the pain? In between the shoulder blades? 

It hurts when you flex the spine, inhale and what else?

Does it hurt to sidebend, extend, twist, lift arms above head, turning your neck? Which ones are worst? What can you do without pain?

• Upvote 2

Peter Iordanov

@Wesley Tan I've attached a picture of roughly where the pain is(maybe plus an inch below the area) - a few inches below the neck, between the spine and the right scap. It hurts in every movement that I have to bend forward: sitting with a bad posture, bending down to touch my toes, laying down and bending my head forward, in all of these there is a pulling sensation in the place i described.
The first day after I got injured it hurt when I inhaled deeply but now when I stand upright, neutral shoulders, it feels normal if I inhale as deep as I can. Although, I still get a pulling sensation if I'm somehow bent forward and inhale too deep.
Sidebending hurts more bending to the left than bending to the right, back extensions don't seem to aggravate it nor does twisting. Lifting the arms above head and turning the neck don't seem to bother it either. Just sidebending, especially to the left, thats the worst from the ones you described. I attempted a 1 leg front lever yesterday and it hurt a bit and as I extended the other leg pain got worse. For now it seems front levers, forward bending of any kind and sidebending hurt.
I did see a doctor today, he touched all over my back lightly and it was not painful. He said I've just overused the muscles, nothing appeared to be torn or ripped(no bruising/deformations) and I should rest 3-4 days, also prescribed some gel to massage the area.

back-banner.jpg

Edited by Peter Iordanov

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely it could be trapezius fibers that are reasonably weak. wait until pain gone, then improve its strength.

Peter Iordanov

@Alessandro Mainente  I've been stretching all day. Most ot the pain is gone, just hurst a bit when I lay on a bed and press the back of my head against the wall. When can I start strengthening it ? And how, what exercises ?

Alessandro Mainente

NO training for this part should be done until the normal daily activity like stay on a bed it is pain free. 

then I highly suggest a physio evaluation in order to construct a decent rehab protocol.

• Upvote 2

Coach Sommer

Peter,

It is highly doubtful that if you have correctly completed all of the Foundation front lever elements this would have occurred.  This is almost certainly a case of poor preparation compounded with attempting an element which is too advanced for you.

Once you are recovered, please post videos for review of your front lever work in the private Foundation forums.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 5

If the muscle doesn't hurt to the touch, especially firm pressure then it's not the muscle. Most likely a slight spinal strain. Give it time to rest and it will pass.