Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall bar mounted pull up bar or better to setup a separate pull up station?

Frank Sonnemans

Frank Sonnemans

Hi,

I am about to invest in a pull-up bar, stall bars and rings and am considering two options and would appreciate tips from experienced users on what to buy as it does add up to quite a budget. The equipment will be installed in my home office. Available wall space about 2.4 meter. L shaped space 5 m deep across 1.2 m width and only 2 m deep across the rest as the space contains 2 desks.

BTW I live in Europe, which impacts pricing and availability.

Option 1:

- Double wooden stall bars artimex

- Stall bar mounted pull up bar that also doubles for rings. Having a double stall bar allows me to leave the pull up bar in place (as well as future extensions such as a dip station. Other advantage is that I can mount the pull up bar lower to do for example inclined pushups or other exercises. Also looks nicer in my office. But I am unsure about stability and question if there are more advanced dynamic movements for a pull up bar that may be unsafe on these.

Option 2:

- Wooden stall bars, artimex

- Rogue wall mounted pull up bar beside it, which doubles as a ring station

Option 3 (very expensive in Europe):

- Rogue wooden stall bars 

- Rogue pull up bar either above or next to it

Much appreciate you sharing your experience with gym equipment and layout.

Thanks,

Frank

IMG_0278.jpg

• Upvote 1

The stall bar attachment has the disadvantage that the offset from the bars is fairly small, so they can feel quite claustrophobic. Also the width is narrow so wide grip is out of the question.

It has the advantage that you can move it up and down, which can come in handy, and you can even completely remove it.

Eva Pelegrin

Option 1, for the reasons you stated. I think you'll be happy having a rings station that you don't have to set up each time. Also extra room for your back strap, which you will need in Foundation Side Lever PE4-6 and beyond. 

Just a thought: Keep in mind that if your ceiling is 2.4 m and the stall bar is also 2.4 m height, it doesn't give you extra space above the bar to clear your head in order to perform a strict chin up/pull up. You would need to lower the pull up bar to a lower rung and start the movement with knees bent, which is better than not having a bar.

Frank Sonnemans
On 10 July 2016 at 5:47 PM, Cole Dano said:

The stall bar attachment has the disadvantage that the offset from the bars is fairly small, so they can feel quite claustrophobic. Also the width is narrow so wide grip is out of the question.

It has the advantage that you can move it up and down, which can come in handy, and you can even completely remove it.

Well there is the option of a wide bar that has angled hand grips which would solve the wide grip limitation.

36156-image.jpg

• 1 year later...
Christopher Denzer

Has anyone tried wide grip L pull ups with the setup pictured above? Looks like you cannot, since you'd have to face away from stall bars and the supporting struts would get in the way.

• Like 1

Benjamin Renaud

Check out my post about stall bars. I made the pull-up and dip attachment and shared a file with construction details, it is wider than the Artimex and sturdy enough for my 85 kilos. Maybe you can have someone make you a similar attachment. You could ask Artimex, they make custom orders.

• Like 1