Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David Rosenberg

Sore calves

David Rosenberg

Soon after I started foundation and the middle split series, my calves started getting sore a lot. On the Tom ferriss interview there was mention of some calf work related to hamstring flexibility, I believe. What's recommended? Thanks!

Jon Douglas

This is interesting actually, I found it quite eye-opening, so I'll write a little. I have seen it borne out over and over again with the high-milage, crazy-strong and ridiculously-inflexible people I generally train with.

Hamstrings themselves are quite easily stretched and respond well. The problem for most untrained (gymnastically) people is not the hamstring itself; it is the calves and glutes/piriformis. Anecdotally, the stronger/tighter they are, the more likely this is the case. If you imagine the hamstring as a process between the calves and glutes, stretching the whole will always be limited to the tightest link the chain. Runners (and kickboxers) will generally find their calves are hideously inflexible; lifters and desk workers will find the limitation at the other end, the glutes, either from strength without mobility or simple lack of movement/activation.

Several stretches from the middle split series address the glutes/hip capsule/piriformis end; Alessandro Mainente recently posted on tweaking these stretches for maximum intensity (tread carefully). Half of the front-split stretch series is just Coach declaring all-out war on your calves; people have pulled things going all-out from the first week, so ramp up gradually here too :)

Further details on these are available in the course forums :)

• Upvote 5

David Rosenberg

As far as specific advice, all calf stretching is described in front split stretch series?  Is there any smaller set of calf exercises / stretches I should be doing (perhaps described somewhere in the forums already)?  My training schedule is already pretty full -- I don't think I can add in another mobility on top of everything else.

Alessandro Mainente

I think that what you can find in the stretch course is enough for everyone who aim to the front split and generally lower limbs release. More exercises like internal and external ankles deviation are a bit particular and I think that a physio can evaluate if you need them or not. personally to improve the ankles range of motion you need soft tibialis and calves, nothing more.

• Upvote 1

Stefano Baral

Although it will be not good as the front split course, I've found that doing full deep calf raises with the feet on a elevated surface and keeping the body in a pike position is very effective in unlock and stretching the calves, especially if you do on a single leg and eventually increasing the loading gradually with an external weight.

In this way you make the calf muscles work at their maximal extension under load, and this is a method that always had given me good results to unlock and stretch muscles.

I suggest to start slowly with two legs to see what are the effects on your calves, don't jump immediately on the one-leg version; the first time I tried it (the two legs version) I had the calves sore for some days.

Besides I have find that pointing the feet inward or outward changes the effects on the calves so I do the reps with the feet in those two positions as well  At the end of the series I always add a static hold in the position of maximum stretch.

• Upvote 1