Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics - strength traning and recovery

Peter Princi

Peter Princi

I'm new to the site. There are various threads but as a new guy I hope folks might cut me a little slack. I get the impression that Gymnasts do strength training every day in one form or the other. It seems to me if they are on the apparatus they will stress their muscles and they need to do this to practice the skills as well.

How do they prevent overtraining? I'd imagine wreslters must have a similar situation as they have to practice every day to get their moves down and wreslting is hard work in the base case.

So do they vary the intensity and that is sifficient to allow recovery? or are they so well conditioned over time that their muscles can handle the load?

So many training gurus are stressing not going to failure, make sure you allow time to recover. How do gymnasts deal with this. I like the site and look forward to learning more.

Pete

Yes, gymnast condition very hard, and once that is complete they tend to work specific skills, and build up from there, the conditioning is their base and once they have their base they of course build up, but one thing they never leave behind is the handstand, and the straddle press, they always have room for those skills because they are the building block of a lot.

When I was in gymnastics the first few weeks was tough, they did over train us, many other guys around me died out, but if you stuck with it the gains were huge, in under a month a notice a lot, skills were becoming easier and conditioning was moving along faster, so you bust your ass during those weeks, you will feel drained then all of a sudden things begin to connect. Coaches don't want you to train to failure but it happens, many people did no exercising before they should up to the gym room, and when they got there they got a taste of hard work, kids of course stood by the water fountain but they were also the kids that got neglected and didn't improve, so if you want to do something you have to jump into and take in as much as you can, coaches will notice that and appreciate it.

Hard work pays off, but do it smart, if you notice a pain in your shoulder tell your coach, don't ignore it they may be able to help you out.