Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there a Thrive overview I can read?

Ryan McKillen

• 1 month later...

Hi @Anthony Winyard - I recommend it. I'be tried all the eating methodologies throughout my adult life. This is the easiest and most satsfying that I have found. There isn't a lot of information I didn't already know, but I'm honestly sick to death of reading articles about this and that. Jeff gives simple and useful supporting information for the lessons and nutritional goals and you give it a go. If you're honesty with yourself, I found that each time I've mastered a task there is an improvement in my levels of wellbeing. I'm still working on getting through the last few steps but the tasks I have mastered aren't going anywhere. I intend to keep them going for as long as I'm getting after it.

• Upvote 6

Ching Yin Leung

I didn't think I would find the course useful since I thought what I eat was already very healthy. But I'm learning a lot and love the simplicity of the tasks and lessons. Just like the rest of GB, it prevents paralysis by analysis.

Prior to Thrive, I followed a "If it fits your macro/micro" approach. I input food that I eat for the day on Cronometer (calorie counter), and figure out if I have any micro-nutrients deficiencies. Then I google top superfood for say magnesium and start eating more of that. It was a very backward approach. Thrive taught me that certain food are not actually the "superfood" as claimed by random online articles. To eat well, you should really go back to basic and just start building your plate with optimal, nutrient dense, net positive food.

I recommend reading and re-reading the Thrive Pyramid. It's very different from other diet approaches, where removing certain food is the core focus and is a little fear-mongering. I think this causes a lot of people to "cheat" and try to masquerade unhealthy food as healthy ("It says I can't have bread, but if I use healthy approved ingredient to make bread then it's ok."). Another thing is they may start doubling on what is healthy according to the diet, without regards that sometimes too much of a good thing is not as good.

Can all the Thrive tasks be shorten to one blog article? Sure, but the step by step approach helps you focus on the right thing. You don't feel overwhelmed with all the information. Just do this one task this week and you're already improving. I also like that Jeff is always on the private forum to clarify any confusion, and you're free to question him on the recommendations, as long as you have a valid argument.

The one complaint that people had is that you have to log in and mark your tasks every day. So you need reliable internet access and remember to log in 6x/week in order to unlock new tasks. Many people have issues with this since they don't like to go online during the weekend, or they don't have access to computer every day.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Winyard

Thank you for taking the time to reply Kelby and Alice.

Because we all react differently to different foods and what works well for one person another person might be intolerant to; how does Thrive take this into account?

So for example if someone prefers not to consumer dairy or can't eat a food type due to religion or some other reason does Thrive provide alternatives for each meal?

• Upvote 1

Ching Yin Leung

I actually had that same question before starting the course. The best way would be PM Jeff with the list of food you cannot have, and he can tell if you it's suitable. That said, while some suggested food choices may be allergenic, there are always different food you can choose from to complete the task. If you're intolerant to a lot of food though, some meals may end up more monotonous than others.

I tend to get non-life threatening allergic reactions to many things, so I used to avoid certain food groups due to possible triggers. Instead of self-diagnosing intolerance, now I've been approaching the diet with an open mind and adding the recommended food/portion, making sure to rotate a variety of food choices. I stay mindful of any serious reaction and avoid as necessary. So far though, I haven't gotten any symptoms even to food I thought would be issues.

Be aware that the course page says Thrive is not suitable for vegan/vegetarian diet.

• Upvote 3

Kelby and Ching said it better than I could of. Nice work. 

Anthony, you can certainly avoid dairy if you so chose, you aren't forced to eat pig and there is even a recommendation for Ramadan in there a member asked for. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
Jessica Webber

Is Thrive something I could implement for breakfast & lunch M-F without changing dinner during the week or weekend eating?  Those other meals may be shared with my husband and I don't want to start pushing him into something he didn't choose to take part in.

Julia Quigley

Is your husband a vegetarian? Is he an extremely picky eater? 

Thrive will affect your dinners, but I wouldn't be too concerned about how it will affect your husband.

First,Thrive isn't typical "diet food"--I think it would appeal to most men. 

Also, there's a lot of flexibility and he wouldn't be limited by portions. 

Finally--if this is something important to you, he can support you trying it out :) The steps are gradual so it would take a while in the program until dinner is completely affected. If it doesn't work for you two (which I think highly unlikely) you could modify how you approach dinners after the course. 

Maybe others with families who completed Thrive could share their experiences? 

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hey Jessica,

Like Julia said, Thrive is flexible enough that it likely won't throw off meals you share with your husband. The course begins with breakfast and lunch assignments so you will have plenty of time to get a feel for the course before dinners change.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Matus Michalicka

How many tasks are there in total? How long does it take to complete the whole program assuming you complete assigned tasks every day?

Thanks!

Jared Birbeck
On 02/01/2017 at 9:26 PM, Jessica Webber said:

Is Thrive something I could implement for breakfast & lunch M-F without changing dinner during the week or weekend eating?  Those other meals may be shared with my husband and I don't want to start pushing him into something he didn't choose to take part in.

A bit late on the reply but...I think so. I did it without pushing my wife to do it or my kids. it required a few tweaks at times. Lunch was the biggest change for me M-F. but it was the meals together that probably benefited all of us most. the additions in Thrive are ones that everyone can and will join in on. if you put out chocolate, people eat chocolate. if you put out salad and fruit...people eat salad and fruit.

Jessica Webber

Thanks Jared, the reply wasn't too late.  Currently at dinner my husband and I start out with the same things on our plates, but he cleans his and I use part of mine for lunch.  Basically I finish the vegetable, but leave half the protein and other side and take these for lunch the next day.  So I may be able to implement changes and I'll just eat more and he can eat less of whatever I add in.  

@Jeff ServenI'm interested in purchasing Thrive but was curious as to how exotic/hard to find the foods in Thrive are?
I live in Scotland (home of haggis) and the supermarkets here aren't fantastic at stocking anything too weird or wonderful; other than sheep stomachs obviously ;)

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hey Ian,

Thrive is SUPER flexible. You will have no problem finding what you need at the market. Nothing exotic is mandatory :)

• Upvote 2

Antonio Alías Montoya

I have a question about Thrive. I know it s not for vegetarians but it s possible for people who eat fish but not meat? I don t eat gluten and meat. it is suitable for me?

Everett Carroll

Thrive is still well within your specific restrictions Antonio. You wouldn't run into any issues with the course. 

• Upvote 4

Sound advice from Everett Michael, Thrive is very comprehensive.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.