Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Little more info... Thinking about starting this system

Kyle Beckman

Kyle Beckman

Hello Everybody,

First off, I want to apologize if these questions have already be answered... I did try to search, but didn't find anything.

Like I said in the title, I'm thinking about starting this system(starting with Fundamentals One) and I'm just looking for a little more information...

What format is the info in? (text/pictures/video/1-on-1 with a coach?)

Once I buy the first program (Fundamentals One), how long after purchasing do you have access to the materials?

After you finish that program, can you continue to work on it beyond the 4 weeks? And if so, what benefit would you get from doing so?

I'm sure I'll have more questions before I purchase it, but that's all I can think of right now.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Kyle

Wayne Smith

Hi Kyle,

I'm a new beginner, having just gone through fundamentals and in week 1 of foundations.

The info is in a series of tutorial and follow along videos, with great explanations and demonstrations.  Also there is a dedicated forum where coaches and experienced athletes will answer individual questions.

You have access to the materials for life

After you finish is up to you.  You can move to foundations or stretching, or both, or you can spend as long as you like repeating fundamentals.  I think there are some movements in fundamentals that will be of long term benefit to continue with.  A lot of the material is base level introductions and explanations for other courses, along with drills to see for yourself where your own mobility issues might be.

So far the issues that seem to arise among us beginners are that

1. There is no way to skip ahead and see what is coming later in the course, each new day is only unlocked after the current day is completed 
  2. The exercises are of short duration and there is no set or rep scheme advised, you follow along and then you are done. 

Of course you can do the exercises as often as you like.  The 2 issues above mean you need to have a fair degree of patience and trust in the program and coaches.  I've felt frustrated with it a couple of times, but so far haven't been let down.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Tanja Küsell

Hi everybody,

I am a completely beginner in gymnastics and did some workouts in the gym since 6 years. I tried out fundamentals and I am starting the last block of this course now. So, for me is the question about purchasing Foundation 1 in combination with stretching series or at first only F1. I would like to know, how it is made in F1? Is it the same procedure as in fundamentals? With daily videos and explanations about each exercise or is it more like a PDF file to read and go through with pictures only? Would be nice to get some more information before buying a pig in a poke ;) 

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Tanja

Petra Dvorak

Hallo Tanja!

i haven't tried Fundamentals nor Stretching, but i regret not having buyed Foundation 1 much earlier!

It is a great programm with always one strenght element AND one mobility exercise coupled together, altough mobility does not have to be stretching, it can also be a active strenght exercise!

Very good explanation-videos for every single movement.

Make sure to post form-check-videos of you early, some of the exercises seem very basic and well-known (like plank), but you can only advance in steps if your form is correct.

Just give it a try!

• Upvote 1

Tanja Küsell

Hallo Petra,

thanks for helping me. Ah, with videos it is very nice. So, I can always see the correct form of each exercise. And I can send in my own videos or pictures for checking if I am on a good way. That means, I can start with F1 and do not need stretching series urgently. Many people recommend to combine Handstand 1 with Foundation 1 to make the shoulders and wrists "bullet-proof". Is it possible to work on both parallel while training 3 to 4 days minimum a week?

I think, I will give it a try, I like the way they do the fundamentals. :)

Petra Dvorak

The next thing i will purchase after summer is Handstand 1+2, as they say it works well toghether with Foundations. As a woman i feel i am rather flexible by nature, so i will wait with stretching series.

Currently i train approximately 2x a week F7 (all 14 exercises in the same session), but in summertime i like to be outdoors aswell with bouldering, hiking, swimming etc., so i simply move my GST-sessions according to the weather ;-)

• Upvote 2

Koenraad Van Leemput

I started with Foundations a bit before Stretching Courses came out and purchased them afterwards.  I am very happy that I did so.  I do each of the stretch courses once a week as advised. (Currently I do F1, H1/2 progressions & Stretching each week).

If mobility is holding you back - which going by the posts from forum members, for a lot of people it is - a structured flexibility program like the Stretching Courses done in parallel with the Foundations is extremely beneficial and will make you progress faster. 

So my advice is to start with F&H and if you discover multiple exercises where mobility is a big issue (for example shoulder flexion/extension or pancake/pike compression) you can add on extra flexibility work.  Stretch course is an excellent option.

• Upvote 1

I'm a little put off by the 30-60 minute time period for each work out. I'm already quite active - and am looking to his program to improve -- not completely replace -- my current activities. 

How hard would it be to sort of integrate these routines with what I currently do? Or what that not be recommended? Is it a "follow the program EXACTLY or it won't help" type of guidance that Coach would give? 

(if it matters, what I currently do in the gym is a body weight based, mobility intensive work out program guided by a terrific personal trainer, who I touch base with 1-2x's per month, just to keep me honest and progressing. In addition I run and practice a martial art (Aikido) on a regular basis.)

Any feed back much appreciate

Jon Douglas
11 minutes ago, PAUL DALY said:

I'm a little put off by the 30-60 minute time period for each work out. I'm already quite active - and am looking to his program to improve -- not completely replace -- my current activities. 

How hard would it be to sort of integrate these routines with what I currently do? Or what that not be recommended? Is it a "follow the program EXACTLY or it won't help" type of guidance that Coach would give? 

(if it matters, what I currently do in the gym is a body weight based, mobility intensive work out program guided by a terrific personal trainer, who I touch base with 1-2x's per month, just to keep me honest and progressing. In addition I run and practice a martial art (Aikido) on a regular basis.)

Any feed back much appreciate

Others here also practise martial arts; some quite intensively (such as myself).

I do not know what mobility you currently do, but if there is a single strength to the GST system it is mobility (and strength through extended ROM). 30-60min is about right for a split workout; performing some permutation of the 7 foundation movements 1-2x per week. You can certainly mix and match; I have been quite aggressive in testing how flexible the programming has been over the past couple years; however you get what you put in, and it is difficult to progress swiftly if you are half-assing it.

Bodyweight-based, you will find none better.

Thanks Jon D!

I'm in my late 40s and really ignored mobility for a long, long time. I have a sedentary occupation, and for years made up for that with distance running and some very basic weight lifting, and Aikido as a movement practice. Notwithstanding the Aikido, I have wound up with VERY tight hips and posterior chain, and some muscles being quite over-developed and others being quite under-developed.

Eg. until my trainer pointed it out to me, my shoulders always "winged" in any kind of front support (plank) position. I could bench my weight, but could hardly protract my shoulders! Learning to do so was surprisingly challenging but very rewarding. 

Over the past two years of really trying to correct mobility/instability issues, I have made progress, but have a long way to go. I think this program is part of what I'm looking for. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Jon Douglas
2 minutes ago, PAUL DALY said:

Thanks Jon D!

I'm in my late 40s and really ignored mobility for a long, long time. I have a sedentary occupation, and for years made up for that with distance running and some very basic weight lifting, and Aikido as a movement practice. Notwithstanding the Aikido, I have wound up with VERY tight hips and posterior chain, and some muscles being quite over-developed and others being quite under-developed.

Eg. until my trainer pointed it out to me, my shoulders always "winged" in any kind of front support (plank) position. I could bench my weight, but could hardly protract my shoulders! Learning to do so was surprisingly challenging but very rewarding. 

Over the past two years of really trying to correct mobility/instability issues, I have made progress, but have a long way to go. I think this program is part of what I'm looking for. 

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Similar; although striking-based arts I had a massively overdevelop back/pulling muscles compared to chest/pushing.

It is not easy; however with diligence it can definitely be corrected. Weighted mobility for adults, especially with a few miles on them, is a complete game-changer. This is not gently stretching and hoping for the best; this is deliberately remodelling you into efficiency and wellness (whether you like it or not :D )

It's great fun, and very productive :)

• Upvote 2

John Crocker

I have Foundation 1 and Handstand 1. They work perfectly well together. I do Foundation three days a week and Handstand two days a week. I highly recommend getting them together.

If you can afford adding any of the stretching modules I would do that now rather than later.

All the programs are well documented with pictures and videos of every exercise and mobility drill. If you add GB Pro+ you even get a follow along video of instructors going through exactly what you are working on that day. I think whatever you can afford to add onto your programs will greatly enhance the progress you make.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

Tanya Hill

Hi John,

Glad to hear you are enjoying your GST journey. It is definitely a lifestyle that I will continue to grow upon!  

Have a great weekend.