Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A.M. Lime H20 Bolus + Salt?

Ashe Higgs

I've followed Coach Poliquin's Strength Sensei blog for awhile, so part of my morning routine is to indulge in about 4 oz. of coffee before a liter of water with lime. K-Starr like's to add a pinch of salt to the morning bolus.  Just wondering if anybody else is doing this.  I'll usually add just like two quick shakes from the salt shaker (sea salt btw). pro's? cons?

Thomas Hanssen

Just curious to the reason behind drinking this much water early in the morning? Haven't read this blog..

I understand the coffee, that gets me up aswell

Adding salt is probably a good idea.  Since drinking this amounts of water at once, will dilute your natrium levels to a degree..

I mean, I don't crush the liter all at once.  It usually takes me around 45 minutes or so to finish it.  The lime is supposed to be an alkalizing agent and the sea salt adds some lytes.  You've been losing fluids all night during respiration, so it's important to start re hydrating right away.  Since I live in AZ and spend a lot of time outdoors, I'll drink five to six liters of water a day during the summer months.

Oussama KHELLADI

i also follow Charles blog and FB page, i noticed when i started taking lime and himalayan salt with water in the morning i get more energy especially after the lunch ( before i become very sleep after lunch) 

Petri Widsten

I drink mineral water throughout the day. I prefer those with a high magnesium and/or sulphate content like Gerolsteiner, Roemerquelle and San Pellegrino. I use tap water only for coffee and tea. Maybe I should add a twist of lime to these waters?

Thomas Hanssen

The loss of water through respiration isn't that much, like 400 ml throughout the day. But if you're thirsty in the morning go ahead.  Im pro salt and adding electrolytes. And especially if you're living somewhere where you loose a lot of fluids...Somehow along the way salt got a bad rep which it didnt deserve.

But i think Himalayan salt is pretty much like snakeoil, not much evidence to back down the claims that it promotes health and wellbeing... You find the same stuff in tablesalt and much cheaper:)

Jeff Serven

Lets re-focus the question every one is asking. We are interested in proper hydration, right?

Well, gram for gram sea salt (I'm with Thomas on Himalayan) does not compare to a electrolyte blend supplement. Sea salt is great don't get me wrong but if we are drinking a solution of 2g I would rather have a blend of Mg, Potassium and sodium. 

Lime and alkalinize is like eating heathy fat and then getting fat. In 1970 is was a logical conclusion that eating fat put fat in your blood stream, well...it's 2016 and we now know thats not the truth. I think the same thing of lime and alkalinity. If you consume something that is alkaline does that mean its processed in your stomach as a base and through the rest of the digestion process as a base and entering your bloodstream as a base and making your blood ph more alkaline? I don't think so. There are however a lot of benefits of limes. Thats just not one of em' 

Further: read carefully. Poliquin does not promote the salt and lime. Wolfgang did on a guest blog post on Charles website. He also states he does it for clients with cortisol issues. Wolfgang is a friend and does extensive bloodwork with clients, he doesn't go internet hypochondriac.

• Upvote 3

William Marler
On 6/13/2016 at 1:12 PM, Ashe Higgs said:

Just wondering if anybody else is doing this.  ... pro's? cons?

Well, I'm not doing that. I don't have any specific morning liquids routine; I loosely try to drink enough water to pee clear by noon. I don't think there's anything specifically "con" with your routine though ... seems like 1) you like it & it makes you happy, and 2) it gets you en route to being hydrated early, which presumably leads to good hydration throughout the day. Both of those things are pro's. I'm with Jeff re: "eating something acidic/alkaline to affect your blood acidity is silly," but man, you could be doing so much worse things to yourself that are touted to be "good for you" than 4oz of coffee & some lime-water, so whatever, keep on keepin on if you feel like it helps you!

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI

not necesssary himalayan salt , any color salt and not tablesalt 

yes jeff

Petri Widsten
On 18/06/2016 at 7:12 AM, William Marler said:

This is going off-topic, but just make sure your salt is iodized; iodine deficiency is a real thing

Don't go overboard on iodine, though. Too much of it can wreak havoc on your thyroid hormones just like too little can. Be particularly careful with seaweed supplements which can be loaded with the stuff. My hormone levels only normalised one I ditched seaweed. Never needed it really as I eat seafish every day (unless traveling).

• Upvote 1

sorry to come back late to this. I didn't mean to suggest that Coach Poliquin recommends salting your water, that comes from Kelly Starrett.  The reason I brought it up is I noticed that if I add the salt (only two quick shakes from my salt shaker per liter), invariably I get "brain fog" about 40 minutes later.  I'm fine if I leave it out. 

I'm personally ambivalent on whether or not adding lime juice alkalizes your blood or not.  That was that stated purpose in the original source, which I've heard many times.  For me it's mostly about taste.  Tap water in Phoenix is terrible, even after it's been filtered unless you have a really high end RO filter, so adding some lime juice just makes the water more palatable.

You guys are clearly doing it wrong!

Salt and lime together do nothing special until you add some Tequila

• Upvote 4

Julia Quigley
1 hour ago, Mike Kelly said:

You guys are clearly doing it wrong!

Salt and lime together do nothing special until you add some Tequila

My thoughts EXACTLY.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.