Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Incorporating into a college athletic program

Jay DeMayo

Jay DeMayo

Hello to all involved.  First, let me thank whomever has put together all of this for their efforts in helping coaches communicate and evolve.  I’m sure it’s a never ending task. 

I was listening to Coach Sommer’s interview on The Tim Ferris Show and many of the things discussed would fit very well, especially in the initial phases, of a college strength and conditioning program.  With the student athlete’s I work with we already have a different approach where we do take our time, we don’t load them too fast (or at least I don’t think we do), but I think that many of the things he brought up in this discussion (building mobility, and connective tissue strength) are things that if we focused even more on earlier in the student athlete's development they would lessen issues later in their career.  So, I’m very curious as to a few things:

1) Where would you (and I am including anyone sense I am very ignorant to all of these practices) suggest I start to learn for myself?  I feel a coach must have at the very least a general physical understanding of what their asking their athlete’s to accomplish, so I need to learn this stuff first.

2) Where and how could I begin to expand upon that in coaching, be it on courses, manuals, video’s whatever?

3) would there be a specific person (assuming Coach Sommer would be unavailable) to discuss the physical preparation process, what our programing is now, how these methods could be implemented (both how he/she see’s and where I would see it applicable), and begin to work together to develop this aspect of our curriculum? 

Again, thank you for your work in putting this all together.  I look forward to moving forward in the near future.

J

GoldenEagle
12 hours ago, Jay DeMayo said:

Hello to all involved.  First, let me thank whomever has put together all of this for their efforts in helping coaches communicate and evolve.  I’m sure it’s a never ending task. 

I was listening to Coach Sommer’s interview on The Tim Ferris Show and many of the things discussed would fit very well, especially in the initial phases, of a college strength and conditioning program.  With the student athlete’s I work with we already have a different approach where we do take our time, we don’t load them too fast (or at least I don’t think we do), but I think that many of the things he brought up in this discussion (building mobility, and connective tissue strength) are things that if we focused even more on earlier in the student athlete's development they would lessen issues later in their career.  So, I’m very curious as to a few things:

1) Where would you (and I am including anyone sense I am very ignorant to all of these practices) suggest I start to learn for myself?  I feel a coach must have at the very least a general physical understanding of what their asking their athlete’s to accomplish, so I need to learn this stuff first.

2) Where and how could I begin to expand upon that in coaching, be it on courses, manuals, video’s whatever?

3) would there be a specific person (assuming Coach Sommer would be unavailable) to discuss the physical preparation process, what our programing is now, how these methods could be implemented (both how he/she see’s and where I would see it applicable), and begin to work together to develop this aspect of our curriculum? 

Again, thank you for your work in putting this all together.  I look forward to moving forward in the near future.

J

"Off the top of my head:"

1. Start with reading all of the available course material, watch the videos often, look at the additional pictures. Become familiar with the forum's search function to find answers that may have already been asked.

2. As you train your own body, you will find ways to incorporate the material into the existing athletic program. 

3. There are course specific sub-forums for further discussion that you will gain access to as you gradually purchase different segments of the overall gymnasticbodies curriculum .

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...
On 5/29/2016 at 7:29 AM, GoldenEagle said:

"Off the top of my head:"

1. Start with reading all of the available course material, watch the videos often, look at the additional pictures. Become familiar with the forum's search function to find answers that may have already been asked.

2. As you train your own body, you will find ways to incorporate the material into the existing athletic program. 

3. There are course specific sub-forums for further discussion that you will gain access to as you gradually purchase different segments of the overall gymnasticbodies curriculum .

Thanks for this guide, I've been doing this for a long time now and it works pretty well!

• 2 weeks later...
Christopherneedham
On 9/9/2022 at 7:47 PM, Marilyngreen said:

Thanks for this guide, I've been doing this for a long time now and it works pretty well!

Hah, I thought I was the only one sitting on dead threads ))) Besides if anyone else is logging into old threads then perhaps they too should know about this https://edubirdie.com/scholarship-essay-writing-service . I'm the person who loves to make life easier that's why I'm always looking for sources where I could ease the vaita, one of them is scholarship essay writing service. It helps me a lot with school and besides it gives me a lot of free time to do more and become more developed.

Edited by Christopherneedham