Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alternative to Chestroll Hes

Dreadrok

i can not do the dam move withought looking like a flailing doofus.. im thinking its a back flexiblity thing. so i was wondering what alternatives you might recommend, or an exercise i can do to finally get them.

appreciate it

Joshua Naterman

I had the same problem! Here's what I did. First, I laid on my stomach and did a "superman." You know what I mean, where you lift your shoulders and your legs off the ground, with only part of your stomach and hips touching the ground. I felt this position. THen, I got on my knees, did the exact same position while upright, and then rolled forward. The only thing I thought about was "Hold that damn curved back! try and touch those shoulders and hamstrings together behind my back!" And a magical thing happenes: I went up into the headstand almost without realizing it. From there it's just strength and practice, my friend :) Let me know if this helps you!

Richard Duelley

I do a two arm elbow lever and then press into a headstand with a straight body, the ultimate goal is to be able to just press into a handstand :mrgreen: To learn this I just did negatives, so I would get into a headstand and then lower down to an elbow lever. Expect a little rug burn on your forehead at the beginning :roll: I now do sets of 3, from elbow lever to headstand (with no rug burn 8) ) and I still cant do a chest roll . . .I think it some skill part as well as strength.

Slizzardman Ninjad me lol

Joshua Naterman

If you're arching back as hard as you can, you will roll really smoothly. It really iscary at first though! I was like shiiiiiit, here goes my face.... but it was ok :)

Richard Duelley

I might just have to try it at the end of this cycle, so in like 5 weeks I guess :D Right now I am all about my straddle planche, read my post on Idos forum about that one. . . I am really excited about it! :mrgreen:

Richard Duelley

I can do a straddle L and press it to a brief straddle planche of like 1 second (on a set of low Pbars, not quite there on the floor), if I pike a little I can hold it for like 2 seconds. So I basically go all out and try the straddle L to straddle planche for about 10 minutes of total work (thats 10 min on the clock working with minimal rest) and then I go back to my regular adv tuck work and auxiliary movements. I got some good comments about it but I need to take a video because I am a perfectionist for sure, and I have no idea what it looks like . . . I just squeeze as hard as I can! And I wont be happy until I am doing straddle planche pushups, and then its off to the full lay out position! :mrgreen:

I still have a ways to go but I am slowly reeling it in! :wink:

Joshua Naterman

Niiiiice! I will absolutely be posting a video when I am doing straddle planche pushups. A guy my size doing that is just about unheard of.

What exactly is the purpose of the chestroll headstand/handstand? I guess I'm missing something in terms of where it would fit into a progression or is it just something fun to do?

Joshua Naterman

You know, that's a good question :) I am not sure personally, perhaps Coach will shed some light on this. It's fun, I know that, and it's great as a breakfall technique, but I honestly don't know why it's part of the gymnastics in terms of its specific benefit to the gymnast.

Richard Duelley

Its just a great multi plane pressing movement to link all of the single plane movements together, in this case I think you link PPP and HSPU and everything in between. It also seems like it will help build coordination which is a good thing. :D I also believe its a progression for the Bower (if I remember correctly, ie I dont have the book in front of me).

Joshua Naterman

Lol, I can't believe I overlooked the bowers. I was sort of thinking like that, but it just didn't click. :)

Richard Duelley

And the final goal would be an Erb . . . Handstand :arrow: planche :arrow: planche push up :arrow: handstand . . . :shock:

I would be just as estatic with a dip to planche!

And the final goal would be an Erb . . .

I'm not sure I see the progression from a chestroll headstand to erb, bower, planche to HS pushup. Seems like there is too much momentum there to help at all. But it's in the movement I suppose.

If you want to see some inspiration for the erb check out this guy:

PC2Kde_rVAg

His name is Geoff and he's a gymnastic coach in Texas. If he's not already I think this guy needs to be part of the community here. Note for all you tall guys out there not that he is 6' tall and around 190lbs.

He provides a nice video tutorial on getting to the erb, which he calls 90 degree pushups:

xwyRzKSo0Vk

He's got an impressive take on bar muscle ups:

RL9wdlONHec

These too:

cicR5nFvE0c

Chestroll to HS is an "A" level skill. One I had hoped to put in my routine but it only went to HeS last night which really pissed me off. Guess I lost it.

It turns into the bent arm straight body press to HS, which is worth a "B" on rings. Think elbow planche and HSPU. Hollowback press.

Richard Duelley

I'm not sure I see the progression from a chestroll headstand to erb, bower, planche to HS pushup. Seems like there is too much momentum there to help at all. But it's in the movement I suppose.

The progressions are laid out in Coach Sommers book. Here is a quick dirty, not to descriptive run down: Basically as you get stronger you slow the roll down as much as you can. After you get the Headstand you move on and add in a HeSPU then you go right to a HSPU without stopping in the headstand. Then you do a chest roll to planche, then you chest roll to handstand and lower slowly back to an arched position on the floor. Then just do the eccentric part of a bower (ie lowering from a handstand) and then you do a full bower, then dip-planche and then the amazing Erb. My little arrow progressions in my previous post is just what you do when you do a SINGLE Erb (ie 1 rep)!

:mrgreen: And I want to be like Geoff when I grow up! :mrgreen: I like how he was in a well equipped weight room and he was just busting out planche pushups in his little mat . . . I cant wait until I can do that, I would go to a weight room just to do some planche work lol

awesome.... i gotta start just doing those arch moves GTG style i think.. ill keep you posted on if i can ever get a Chesty to HeS

Joshua Naterman

swahDqto5ic

Here it is! It's not Coach's video, but this shows a really smooth technique. His actual handstand has a huge arch, but his chest roll and press looks sharp.

Joshua Naterman

You don't need frame by frame. All you need to do is arch backwards as hard as you can, like the yoga stretch, and then hold that arch while letting your arms go limp. You will roll forward and then push up. It is really easy once you get the hang of it.