Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Current Program: continue, delay or abandon

Bob Hagan 18892

Bob Hagan 18892

I am 55 years old  and just starting Fundamentals and have also purchased Foundation, Handstand and Stretch programs.  I have years of work to do as I pursue my transformation.  My question is that I have been doing resistance and other training on and off and would like to continue my current training simultaneously which includes basic lifts such as Squat, Deadlift, Bench and Shoulder Press. I am not doing a lot of volume right now but enough to feel good as I am trying to lean out as well.  Is it Ok to continue these or should I abandon then in favor of GST and pick them up again and if so when?

Jared Birbeck

depends on your goals. Looks like you have already made up your mind to continue them so commit to it. We all do this as in a way we look at giving up on what we are doing as 'failure' or acknowledgement we made the wrong choice to begin with. It is not the wrong choice, simply a choice based on what we want to achieve.

If you are trying to do Foundation, handstand and stretch work it will probably be too much to add in squat, dead-lift, bench and shoulder press as well depending on your fitness.  Many ways to skin a cat, decide what you want to achieve first then commit to it 100%

• Upvote 3

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Bob, 

Welcome to heaven! I don't see a problem in continuing with your lifts while doing Fundamentals. However, as you get into Foundations and HS you may run into unnecessary program redundancies down the road. Plenty of pressing strength with GB to keep you satisfied (my guess). Also, keep in mind that if you're lacking in mobility somewhere like most of us, you'll probably find out that you have plenty to do with Foundations, HS and the Stretch Series. That's been my experience so far and I'm only 5 months into it. I've not had the time or inclination to do more, even though a little voice in my head says "you should be doing more." Now I just ignore it.

I won't lie, at first I was hesitant to let go of my past programming, which was very high in volume and structured very differently for the same skills as Foundations. I kept wondering "is this (GB) going to be enough?" After purchasing Foundations and a quick glance at Coach's programming, I was instantly sold. Wow. I never looked back. I knew it would be necessary to let go in order to give Foundations and myself a fair chance. It was an easy decision. 

Now, my number one priority, more than training, is to give my body the resources, nutrients and time it needs (sleep, bodywork, meditation...) so I can train. Not to mention I have plenty to juggle at work/life. If I can continue to make progress in this path at a pace that is sustainable for me, that's success right there.

• Upvote 2

Ryan Hurst

Your enthusiasm is inspirational Eva!  It's great to hear you're having success with the GB programming.

I have only recently joined GB online.  The prospect of structured programming and progressive goals was a big attraction, but after recently completing the fundamentals (I think I've finished it.  GB email tells me its 4 weeks long, but I can only see 12 days' worth, which I've done), I'm now trying to commence the foundation 1 program but am a bit lost in the system.  I can see the 7 different 'elements' (front lever to rope climb) but there seems to be no programming guidance. Am I missing something or are we just supposed to work on both the mobility and strength aspects of all 7 elements every day, focussing on whichever 'Progression' we are up to for that 'Element'? 

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me understand how you practically use the GB tools to program your week, and how do you remember what to do once you're at the gym? (Is there a related app, or do you hand-write your own program and exercise cues to take with you to the gym?)

Thanks a lot!! :D

Eva Pelegrin

Hey @Ryan Hurst welcome aboard!

You got the gist of it. Start at the beginning and see how you do. Post form checks so that you can benefit from the moderators advice.

Have you checked the 'Get Started' forum? I would recommend you re-post under that category so other senior members can give you the ld. I personally like to write things down. I use a Word document, which I update periodically. Hit print and done. I always have my program outline handy without touching any screen. I love paper. 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/forum/27-getting-started/

There's plenty of routine advice in this pinned thread: 

Also in your dashboard, under the FITNESS menu, you'll find a GTS introduction which will answer many of your questions.

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

Hi Ryan,

If you are only showing 12 days of Fundamentals completed, you are not finished.  Please submit a customer support ticket to see where the issue is.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Oussama KHELLADI

Eva said it all, i was gonna tell you the same thing i also was wondering like you but i saw that the Foundations will cover all what i wanted and even more you can stick to your old programing if you want and can (time availabilty etc) .

enjoy

• Upvote 1