Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straddle press handstand

Ashley McDonald

Ashley McDonald

I've been at this skill since I was like 7 and first started gymnastics. I suppose if I had stuck to it I would have it by now ( hopefully.....) but its, 11 years later and I'm still struggling. I attached a little youtube video (my straddle press struggle) of four clips of my struggle. The first one is the one where I got the closest, but I haven't been able to do that since. I suspect my issue is the way i've been trying (cheating) which you can see in the other clips ( starting with my legs resting on my elbows.). I absolutely feel like I could get this skill, I have EVERY other part including doing negatives (they aren't very controlled but i can do them). My issue right now, as you can probably see is that my legs end up pressing against my arms because my arms for some reason want to bend and create a nice little spot for my legs to rest. I don't know how to fix this. Are there any other drills or strength exercises I could do to break this habit or just in general? Please help

• Upvote 1

Ashley McDonald
5 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

As you have pointed out yourself, most glaring problem that needs to be fixed is the issue of your bent arms. 

There are numerous things you can do to correct this, but it would serve you best to take a few steps back and work on your straight arm Press Handstand elements. 

All your answers lie in Handstands 2 course material. 

It will be harder to continue on that path that you are going because so many bad habits are being formed. Your body will always find a way to cheat when it needs compensation. In my eyes, you simply aren't ready to pursue a stalder press at the level you think you are able to. 

There are more than enough videos on YT for your education, but since everyone is a guru in the Wild West that is the internet, you will save a lot of headaches and wasted time by following the structure of H2. 

I was trying a couple more today (i'm so bad, like my wrists kill and I lost my tiger paws and yeahh I know i'm gunna over work them but its hard to stop when you're so determined) I managed, through very conscious effort, to push my hips up, away from my arms and my arms didn't bend and I did it a few times like that.

Now I think what I need is more strength ( I think it's my abs?) because once I get to the hold, leaning forward and trying to lift my hips more that's when it gets hard (also the wrists, I think that's the worst part). I know it's not gunna be immediate or right away but I think working on strength and doing negatives will definitely help me

• 2 months later...
Luke Searra

Very cool Ashley keep plugging away. Huge improvement.

• Upvote 1

Eddie Stelling

Ashley, keep doing what you are doing, but add in negatives. Go from a handstand down to straddle L, as slow as you possibly can (stop at feet on the floor if you have to at first). Eventually the negative press work meets the press work (the up meets the down). You need a solid handstand first if you don't already.