Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Women's non-athletic shoe choices for foot health

Julia Quigley

Julia Quigley

Hey ladies! I'd love to hear your recommendations for at least somewhat fashionable shoe choices that are actually good for your feet.

This summer I'm making a big step toward foot health/mobility by ditching flip flops (my go to for athleisure and running errands!).

I'd also like something better than flats for summer dresses/nicer, casual attire. 

@Eva Pelegrin had a great post in the stretch series forum recommending various athletic shoes, and she inspired me to pose this question to the women in the forum at large.

So, what what tried and true brands/styles/shoes work for you and promote positive foot health (or at least don't hinder it)?

Mark Schoenhard

If I may interject.  I recommended these to my sister and she never looked back.  Plantar fasciitis disappeared, had energy after teaching all day and they are some of the last handmade shoes in the U.S.A.

• Upvote 1

Julia Quigley

Great recommendtion! I learned about this brand years ago whe I was in grad school and couldn't afford them, and I'd totally forgotten! 

Do you know which style she ordered? Those ballet flats looks great. 

• Upvote 1

Mark Schoenhard

She has several styles including the flats.

• Upvote 1

John Cunningham

Vivobarefoot do some great shoes for both male and female and for all ranges of activity. Worth checking out. 

• Upvote 1

Eva Pelegrin

Hi Julia,

Great question. As you know, comfort and design don’t always come together. I usually look for wide toe box and zero drop shoes (or close to it). I’m going to be very bias to my native land and recommend CAMPER from Mallorca, Spain. They have a great selection of really imaginative, original designs for every walk of life. I’ve worn Camper on and off since I was a teenager. If you’re design-conscious you're absolutely going to love these for quality, comfort and design. You can see that even some of their “old designs” from 10, 20, 30 years are not only cool but timeless. Gentlemen, take a look, they have great-looking colors and styles for men, too.

On the casual, "no-surprise" end of comfort, you have the original “often copied, never equaled” BIRKENSTOCK, which naturally distribute weight evenly over the entire sole of your foot.

For those who have heel pain, ball of the foot pain (shin, knee, back), I often recommend VIONIC. They features Orthaheel® technology, which can be helpful in reducing common aches and pains by aligning you from the ground up. Other companies that are comfort-focused and environmentally conscious:

EARTH, comfort-first, contemporary style
Look, these are on sale and pretty cool looking, don’t you think?

DANSKO, Classic hip clogs

KEEN, American build, sturdy, high-performance

TAOS, adjustable uppers, artisan finished leathers

• Upvote 2

Maksis Riley

I can second the Vivos. I just got a pair and really love them. Expensive, but they should last.

Max

• Upvote 1

Julia Quigley

Great recommendations, everyone! I ordered a pair of sandals with free returns from Vivo, but I'm still wading through all the options for flats/dressier options. 

@Eva Pelegrin, I've only taken a preliminary look but so far I really want several pairs of heels Camper! This is problematic, since I don't NEED any more heels ;) Haha. Looking forward to sorting through the options on the many brands you recommended; thanks for taking the time to share!