Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Addressing Asymmetry

Michael Pehl

Michael Pehl

I'm sure most of us have what we'd call our "good side" and our "bad side". Even regardless of past injuries or congenital defects, I'm sure it is just the nature of having a dominant work-side (Right/left handedness).

In terms of addressing this asymmetry, particularly as it pertains to mobility, as apposed to strength, what seems to be the general course of action here? Do we want to carry on and just allow the nature of the GST programming and integrated mobility work to address this? Or, for those of you who have dealt with this, did you find that paying extra attention to the problem-areas either benefitted or hindered your overall progress in any way? 

Previous to my recent dive into GST, I saw some great general improvements following Kelly Starrett and Jill Miller's soft tissue protocols (therapy balls/bands/positioning). Are there any cases where this kind of work would be contraindicated in GST?  

*Note: GB is the only strength-training protocol I am engaging in. (Foundation-1, Handstand-1, and all three stretch series'.) 

Eva Pelegrin

I always start with my weak side and let that side dictate the number of reps of a  given element.
I know Jill's and Kelly's soft tissue and mobility work. I don't think anyone in this forum is going to oppose to this complementary line of work, except for the voodoo floss band (I'm not a fan of that particular one).

Michael Pehl
4 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

I don't think anyone in this forum is going to oppose to this complementary line of work, except for the voodoo floss band (I'm not a fan of that particular one).

I do feel like voodoo floss can be very helpful when it comes to breaking up the sliding surfaces around joints that can be difficult to place direct pressure upon (ankle/knee/elbow), especially while trying to simultaneously move them through a full ROM.

58 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

I let my training be always limited by my weaker side. Seems to keep improving :)

I like that mentality. Glad to hear it works!