Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

how to recover from tendonitis

Jan Nitschke

Jan Nitschke

hey all!

i know that i am not the only person who is fighting against tendon pain, tendonitis, tendonopathy call it how u like. i read alot about how to recover tendons, but the more research i do and the more people i ask about it the more i get confused. i know that there is no magic pill and one opinion about it, but i hope that there are some people in this forum who managed to recover from it and i am very very interessted in every single experience or opinion u have about this topic.

To my case: my diagnosis is long biceps tendonitis, it started about one year ago with a strain in my biceps while i was in the support hold in the rings. shame on me, i wasnt prepared, i know!!! over the last year the pain never went away fully, so i did a MRI and this was my diagnosis. however this strain turned into a tendonitis, i dont know and i think its not important, because i stopped every physical activity that could have cause the tendonitis.

So at this stage i dont train or do anything that puts stress on my arm, since i stopped stretching and external rotation training i felt better, but now it feels  like the recover process stopped and its not bad pain but still not enough recovered to start any form of training, stretching whatever, everytime i start again the pain slightly increases again and i dont think that this is a good sign even if some doctors told me that i have to ignore this and do my external rotation stuff day in day out to get space in my shoulder.

i started loosing the trust in my doctors, because it seems to me like they are not up to date in this topic when i read things about excentric training or that its already proved that there is no real inflammation in the tendon, so it seems to me like bullshit that one of my doctors still wants to give me anti-inflammatory pills.

i am very thankful for any of ur help!!!

cheers

Jan Nitschke

thanks for ur answer. can u justify why i should heat and not cool the tendon, because this is what my doc told me...

cheers!

Jan Nitschke

i just checked online but it doenst seems to be possible to buy a   Microcurrent stimulation device for private use. so do i have to get this via doctor prescripton?

Jan Nitschke

hey bro, thank u very much!!!! i will purchase one, so if i got u right i use it to get better blood flow -> faster recovery? how many times per day should i use it?

Jan Nitschke

is there anybody else who can give me some advices that werent mentioned yet?  any experience with excentric training or powerball work??

thanks!!

Alessandro Mainente

Conservative protocol is a method where you can couple:

-elastic band work with high repetitions for multiple sets , using a resistance band and a range motion that is pain free

-then alternation with ice bath and heath bath, this will give the benefits that Zach exposed above.

Most importante thing: healing process requires GH and IGF-1 coupled with stem cells. body has it naturally, but their production , transport and specialization into the damaged tissue requires a lot of time.

the best cure is the intelligent training.

Jan Nitschke

thanks for ur answer!  what specific band work do u mean and for what reason in my case? (i guess for blood flow?) and how many times per day/week.? u said the body needs gh and igf1(whatever this is), is their any possibility to help the body? 

the advice to do exercise that doesnt hurt is really hard to identify for me cause it tend to feel like muscle burning so i usualy compared the pain before and after the exercises / day after  and till now everytime i did any sort of band work or stretch the pain slightly increases afterwards / day after, thats the reason why i stopped everything...

ur last statement is that the best cure is intelligent trainning, well i know that this tendonitis came from my stupidity, but what type of intelligent  training does help me in my acute situation?

Giovanni Garcea

When I recovered from tendonitis last year, I was doing 3 sets of 10-20 reps twice a day without missing a day for band work. I think I was doing three variations of rows and three variations of external rotations (arm close to the body, 45 degrees angle and 90 degree, but I only did the first variation during the first acute phase).

Fundamentally, I found the best physical therapist I could and I did exactly what he told me.

Alessandro Mainente

The body automatically produces GH and IGF-1 but it takes time for those substances to completely reduce your problems.

High reps work should be done 2-3 times a week.

Edgar Hernandez Celli

Hi there everyone.

I've been struggling with knee tendonitis, and i would like to incorporate high rep work. Which kind of exercises should I work on. Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

IT depends on the region of tendonitis, no all the regions could be managed in the same way. 

the knee region should be managed considering causes and consequences. for this reason you should see a physio so that he can check possible imbalances.

Jan Nitschke

and for the long biceps tendonitis which exercises do u recommend? i am wondering, that nobody talks about excentric training or powerball work...

Joshua Slocum

My tendinitis tips:

- immediately halt all exercises that further irritate the affected area. 

- 2-3 times per week, perform high-rep, low intensity exercises (e.g. band-work, as Alessandro recommended) that target muscles connected to the irritated tendons. 

- regularly but gently stretch the muscles of the irritated tendon as well as the opposing muscles (e.g. for biceps tendinitis, stretch the biceps and also the triceps)

- liberal application of NSAIDs

Applying heat, through e.g. heatings pads or contrast showers, can help too. 

Jan Nitschke

which nsaid's should i use? cause for some i would need a prescription...

does anybody know a good bicep stretch?

so for the exercises, would it look like 2-3 sets of something like this? 

• 4 weeks later...
John Koliopoulos
On 17.5.2016 at 10:25 PM, Zach Armijo said:

once a day is preferable.

Start with the positive connection (red) directly over the injury for the first 3 weeks. After 3 week, place the negative connection (black) over the injury. 

30 minutes

Mode: P1

Pulse Width: 50ms

Pulse Rate: 10Hz

Intensity: as much as you can handle. Max at 70mA is ideal. It will feel like tiny pin pricks or numbness tingling, but it should NOT invoke a motor response. 

Very interesting stuff, could you elaborate a bit more on the type of injury you had and how long it took to heal? I am struggling with wrist pain for the first time ever, I tried to increase my handstand push up volume to 3x/wk and my body said NOPE. Do you know more about how this stuff actually works inside the body? Never heard about this before^^