Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jamie Clowes

Jamie Clowes

I'm new here but have been reading through threads for a few months now, mainly on forearm splints, wrist and finger pain.

I started getting forearm splints years ago when I was a bro, curling 40kg in the gym like I was the man. Then I started to get pain, so bad I couldn't even open a door. Eventually I stopped doing curls altogether, switched over to DC training and then 5x5. I occasionally got some pain from bench / overhead press, but it was completely manageable through stretching. 

A few years later and I've quit the gym, focussing on bodyweight training. I needed some goals so began working towards the planche and handstand. For the planche I practised L-Sit, tuck planche & planche lean - doing sets so the times totalled 60 seconds per exercise, gradually increasing the time per set (15,15,15,15 - 20,20,20 - 30,30 etc).

For the handstand I was really just working on my fear of being on my hands upside-down and only really got as far as a headstand against a wall (don't laugh).

The planche training was going so well and I was really enjoying the progression, even if it was ever so slow. However it all came to a swift end when my forearm splints came back with a vengeance. 

I noticed it came on really strong if I was doing a hold then immediately came off the position, but if I came off gradually then the pain wouldn't be as bad, but would still be present. I've always stretched my wrists out before and after exercising ... as well as doing about 8x 30 second exercises with a rice bucket.

The addition of the above 2 things really did feel as though it was working. However I ended up stopping training completely, and just doing the above stretches every few days but for some reason this just brought the strain back. I've also tried not doing any stretches or training at all. I've even started getting pain from playing guitar and typing now (perhaps all 3 are linked?).

My main point of this thread is to ask if anyone has actually had any success with forearm/finger/wrist exercises that has enabled them to train hard again, without having to worry about any pain creeping in, and also if there are any structured programs out there I can follow which can help. 

I know this is probably about the 10th thread on forearm splints, but I really haven't found much hope online on the topic and am getting slightly desperate.

If anyone can help please do! I just want to start training correctly again.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem for 6 months now. I would really like to know the story of someone that was able to overcome this problem. How are your forearms now? 

Alessandro Mainente

Completely recovered. splints are a sign of repetitive stress exercises (over a not enough prepared body) and not enough time for the body to recover completely. nothing more.

• Upvote 1

Ryan Segervall
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Completely recovered. splints are a sign of repetitive stress exercises (over a not enough prepared body) and not enough time for the body to recover completely. nothing more.

What did your rehab process look like? Just curious to hear from someone who has made it all the way through this type of injury. 

Alessandro Mainente

Rest for a long time from painful movement, relax structures involved with stretch and PT manipulation. then begin again spending more time on bases and less on my EGO.

• Upvote 4

...and to supplement Alex above:

A general rehab rule that seems to work with many kinds of injuries is to

1: Rest for a couple of weeks, until acute pain is gone (If the injury is now chronic, don't expect all of the pain to disappear through rest - The remainder of the pain will disappear through correct rehab). Meanwhile you may (and should) train other body parts, as long as this is painless, since this will keep you from regressing. Also keeps you from getting depressed/obsessed about the injury, as you get to focus on other interesting stuff. Lower body mobility and strength would be the obvious go to area in your case (of course, don't get so obsessed with your new focus, that you then end up injuring your lower body).

2: Begin lightly training the injured area again. Sharp pain is strictly unacceptable, but an extremely slight, dull irritation is ok. Maximum 1-2 on a pain scale of 10. Such pain is indicative of inflammation, which means the area is under repair. Training should include both strength and mobility work.

3: Ditch the ego and let the body dictate the rate of progress. This means learning to read and understand the signals that the body is sending you. it doesn't, however, mean that you should ditch your ambitions. You determine the goals, and the body determines the pace with which you achieve those goals.

Expect the rehab process to last at least 3-6 months, so be patient. For golfer's elbow, I've experienced a rehab period of ~18 months, and for my reconstructed shoulder, full recovery took years.

Optionally, get into the courses offered on this site. Your injury is your body's way of telling you that you are clueless about programming for high level strength work. Harsh words, but the sooner you grasp this, as many others around here have, including myself, the sooner you will be on your way to realizing your goals.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Upvote 3