Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yoga with Stretch Series

Chris Maudlin

Chris Maudlin

Is it ok (or advisable) to practice vinyasa flow style yoga in tandem with the F1/Stretch series? If so, is it ok to do both yoga and the stretch series on the same day, or will this be overkill on the body? I generally practice yoga 4x/wk on the weekdays, and was planning on doing the stretch series on the week days as well to give my body rest on the weekends. I could do 2 of the stretch series on the weekend, and 1 in the middle of the week when I don't do yoga, but that would put be doing some sort of stretching 7 days a week. Again, i'm not sure if this is good or bad. 

Giovanni Garcea

Not an expert, but I think vinyasa flow style is fine to do alongside GB and shouldn't impact anything negatively (and actually will do you good). Other styles like Ashtanga or any type of hot yoga are more intense and should be planned more carefully.

So try your preferred schedule for a few weeks and see how it goes.

This is most likely a case of "If you have to ask, don't do it".

• Upvote 2

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I think it depends on how you feel. I like to intersperse my stretch series with yoga as it keeps me loose. I'm also doing rather beginner level yoga in my living room, nothing extreme or exhausting. I wouldn't do any other yoga in conjunction with the stretch series though, they're quite intense (so I end up only doing 3-4 yoga sessions per week, on days when I'm not doing the stretch series).

• 3 months later...
Jennifer Brovelli

I have been practicing Ashtanga 3x and Vinyasa 3x a week for about a year and a half. I am in my 40's. I have overstretched ligaments in one of my knees from a childhood injury (with surgery), consistent re-injury, & now use the McConnell taping style to avoid suggested ligament replacement surgery. Anyway, yoga has keep me pretty injury free in comparison to other sports. I love it. I have been following gymnastics bodies on Instagram & have been inspired to make progress on splits (hate these), handstand pike and gaining more knee stability (if possible). I am in the middle of the Fundamentals course, the question of whether or not I can consider the stretch courses with yoga never occurred to me! I figured they would compliment my yoga practice & make it stronger. I am curious, how the stretch series has informed your yoga practice?

Edited by Jennifer Brovelli
Forgot to move the show replies button

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

It's made my yoga progress. Without the stretch series, my ROM was pretty much always the same. My ankle, hip, hamstring, shoulder, and spinal flexibility is much, much better. The stretch series are really my main focus and the yoga I do is mainly to limber up between errands and work. But, it is absolutely a worthwhile pruchase.

I've been doing GST with the stretch series for six months now and have found that both my yoga and my Taekwondo have benefitted. I don't do well with doing yoga or Taekwondo on the same day I do gymnastics training, but I'm 64. A younger man might be able to handle a more intense routine with shorter rest intervals.