Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newbie...required equipment?

Chris Maudlin

Chris Maudlin

I am new to GB and looking to start with Fundamentals, F1, & Stretch. How long does the F1 program last, and what equipment will be required if performing the exercises at home? Is the stretch program needed or will I get sufficient mobility with the F1 program? 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

It lasts as long as it lasts. I bought it in 2014 and am still working on it. There's no set timeline. You only progress once you've mastered all the steps of a movement, with every fourth week being a deload week regardless of your performance. Coach states that the whole course should only take 1-2 years, however, that's very conservative. Given our life demands and current ROM and flexibility it will likely be much longer (flexibility and mobility are far and away the limiting factors, not strength. So, if don't have full shoulder, wrist, thoracic spine, ankle, knee and hip functionality expect some things to take much, much longer than you would hope or expect).

In terms of equipment: a dowel, some free weight plates (1.25, 2.5, 5, 10), some dumbbells from 5-25lbs, a set of gymnastic rings, a place to hang said rings, a pullup bar, a place to do dips, yoga blocks, a yoga strap, a stretch strap, a swiss 'balance' ball, and resistance/bungee cord bands, that'll cover most everything. A place to do glute ham curls will also be needed (but a couch could suffice with some creativity). An olympic bar, and some weight plates and box will be also quite helpful to facilitate manna mobility work. Stall bars would also work quite well for later manna strength work, too (but a door could just as easily do the trick).

The stretch series is not mandatory but is very highly suggested. It will only help your progress. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
Giles Collins

This is really helpful having a list of equipment.. would you recommend having numbers on the ring straps?  Just on my second week of F1 and itching to get some wall bars etc. but it sounds like there is no rush.